Transfer window open – What Sheffield Wednesday's Neil Thompson said when asked about it…

Sheffield Wednesday’s Neil Thompson is in charge as the January transfer window opens up, but it remains to be seen what business will end up getting done at Hillsborough.

By Joe Crann
Monday, 4th January 2021, 5:00 pm

Wednesday chairman, Dejphon Chansiri, is currently on the hunt for a new manager in S6 after taking the decision to part ways with Tony Pulis last month, but Thompson has bought him a bit of time after winning back-to-back games to lift them out of the relegation zone.

But while the search for a manager continues, there is also the small matter of the transfer window opening up – meaning that Wednesday can now look at bolstering a squad that has had a fair share of injury concerns this season.

Read More

Read More
Managerless Sheffield Wednesday yet to sort out a number of Owls contracts

Sign up to our Sheffield Wednesday newsletter

It’s unknown as yet how long Thompson will remain in charge of the first team, but it doesn’t seem like he’s getting carried away in his role as caretaker manager.

When asked if he was speaking about the transfer window, ‘Thommo’ told The Star, “Not really, the focus has just been totally on the games… Preparing the players, getting them rested up and putting a little bit of tactical stuff into them.

“It’s been about getting their energy right, and making sure they’re in the right frame of mind. I think you can see that they’ve had to really dig in in these last two games, and I think they’ve done that. So credit to them.”

Meanwhile, on the topic of the likes of Massimo Luongo or Julian Börner making their returns from injury in the FA Cup clash with Exeter City, Thompson said, “I’m hoping so, but we’ll just wait until Monday. The physio staff will look at one or two over the weekend and we’ll just judge it on its merits.”

Neil Thompson is the caretaker manager of Sheffield Wednesday. (Darren Staples/Sportimage)

That game has been thrown into doubt after it was revealed that SWFC’s Middlewood Road training ground has been closed down due to a COVID-19 scare, but there will only be more clarity on whether it will go ahead once everybody at the club has undergone mandatory Coronavirus testing on Wednesday.

A number of players have been linked with moves to the club on various media platforms, and The Star will continue to monitor the situation to see if anything is on the cards.

More Owls news

Thank you for reading this article, one of dozens we publish every single day to provide you with the best, most up-to-date and most informative coverage of YOUR club. This depth of coverage costs, so to help us maintain the high-quality reporting that you are used to from the football team at The Star, please consider taking out a subscription to our new discounted sports-only package. You'll find all the details at www.thestar.co.uk/subscriptions/sports.

Your support is much appreciated.