Sheffield Wednesday sweat over possible Fernando Forestieri ban

Fernando Forestieri could be in hot water with the Football Association
Fernando Forestieri could be in hot water with the Football Association

Sheffield Wednesday could be without talented forward Fernando Forestieri after the international break.

Forestieri may be hit with a ban by the Football Association for the part he played in the Owls' bad-tempered pre-season friendly against Mansfield Town on July 24.

The 28-year-old, who has been a substitute in Wednesday's last three Championship outings, appeared to throw a punch at Stags midfielder Calum Butcher following the final whistle as tempers boiled over. It sparked a mass brawl involving most of the 22 players on the field.

For more news from Hillsborough click here  

The Star understands a Football Association disciplinary committee are due to meet imminently to discuss the unruly melee and decide whether Forestieri should face punishment. If Forestieri is found guilty at the hearing, he could be hit with a suspension and possibly a fine.

The unseemly clash broke out after Forestieri had earlier been yellow carded after tangling with Krystian Pearce. 

There were also allegations Forestieri made racist remarks to centre-half Pearce, who had to be restrained and escorted off by Mansfield boss David Flitcroft. The Stags reported the incident to the FA and Nottinghamshire Police. 

Wednesday, in a club statement at the time, said: "The club vehemently refutes any form of racist abuse on our part and will vigorously defend itself should the need arise."

For our Owls news and opinion on twitter follow here      

Mansfield midfielder Jacob Mellis could also find himself in hot water with the FA after appearing to strike Owls skipper Tom Lees in the contretemps in the post-match fracas before stewards moved in to separate the two warring parties.

Speaking last week, Flitcroft said: “The FA have looked into the incident and sent a report through - we have put our evidence in.

"It’s quite unusual it’s lasted this long and the timing is really poor with planning. 

“It was seven or eight weeks ago and it’s not been resolved. 

“Jacob Mellis could miss some games and if it’s not resolved before the window then it’s bad practice from the FA for me.

“Something has caused them to stall the decision But as a football manager you want it resolving sooner then it is happening.”

Follow Dom Howson on twitter