Sheffield Wednesday set for financial boost after FA Cup win over QPR - and what the Owls have earned so far
Sheffield Wednesday are set to benefit from a six-figure financial boost – courtesy of the FA Cup’s increased prize fund.
The Owls survived a late scare to defeat QPR and are set for a healthy financial reward to boost Hillsborough’s coffers.
Unlike the Carabao Cup, winners in each round of the FA Cup are able to benefit from the competition’s substantial prize fund, which sees £180,000 on offer to the winners of third round ties.
That means Wednesday will scoop that sum after their victory last Friday.
Unfortunately for QPR, while there is consolation prize money on offer for losing sides in the qualifying rounds, there are no such financial rewards from the first round proper onwards.
However, should the Owls able to mount a successful FA Cup run this term, they could see more financial boosts heading their way.
Here’s the full prize money available in this year’s FA Cup:
- First Round - winning sides receive £36,000
- Second Round – winning sides receive £54,000
- Third Round - winning sides receive £135,000
- Fourth Round – winning sides receive £180,000
- Fifth Round – winning sides receive £360,000
- Quarter Final – winning sides receive £720,000
- Semi Final – winning sides receive £1.8m; losing sides receive £900,000
- Final – winner receives £3.6m; runner-up receives £1.8m
So far, Wednesday have netted £315,000 in FA Cup prizemoney this season – and Garry Monk’s side could also pocket a broadcast fee of around £75,000 if any of their future ties are selected to be televised.