Sheffield Wednesday: Owls Under-21s 1 Huddersfield U-21s 4

Sheffield Wednesday
Sheffield Wednesday
Share this article
Have your say

Sheffield Wednesday crashed to a 4-1 defeat in their Under-21 Professional Development League match with Huddersfield Town this afternoon.

The Owls, fielding several senior players, including Kamil Zayatte and Giles Coke, broke the deadlock in the 40th minute through Paul Corry.

But Lee Bullen’s side were condemned to defeat after goals either side of half-time from Harry Bunn, who was on loan at Sheffield United earlier in the season, Duane Holmes, Jordan Sinnott and Chris Atkinson.

It was the visitors who could have taken the lead in the eighth minute when Cristian Lopez rose unmarked to meet Jordan Sinnott’s well flighted free kick but Adam Davies acrobatically tipped his powerful header over the bar.

The Owls, deploying a 4-5-1 formation, looked dangerous on the counter attack and Adam Hinchliffe linked up well with Franck Betra and he fed Corry, whose left foot drive was parried to safety by Ian Bennett.

Hinchliffe, always looking to support lone striker Betra, fired narrowly wide after exchanging passes with McCabe in the 24th minute.

Moments later, Zayatte’s point blank header from Hinchliffe’s free kick was superbly kept out by Bennett as the hosts continued to pile on the pressure.

Wednesday didn’t have the derby all their own way and Jake Carroll tried his luck from distance but Davies was equal to it.

Five minutes before the interval, Corry opened the scoring, slotting in from close range after Ayo Obileye drilled a shot across the face of goal following Hinchliffe’s corner.

Bu their joy was short-lived as Bunn rifled in Sinnott’s low right foot centre in the 44th minute.

Wednesday nearly regained the lead two minutes after the re-start but Corry’s effort drifted narrowly off target.

James Lolley twice went close for Huddersfield while Lopez blazed over after latching on to Lolley’s through ball.

Midway through the half, Holmes raced on to a long ball, rounded Davies and slotted in to give the Terriers the upperhand.

It soon became 3-1 after the referee penalised trialist Kayode Bola for bringing down Lopez in the area. The official showed no hesitation in pointing to the spot and Sinnott made no mistake from 12 yards.

With nine minutes remaining, Atkinson lashed in the fourth after Lopez found him in acres of room of the right.

Wednesday substitute Khallil Lambin almost pulled a goal back but he hit the crossbar after a fine delivery by Jack Stobbs.

Owls: Davies; Baio, Zayatte (Fenwick 80), Bola, Floro; McCabe, Obileye (Stobbs 63), Coke (Lambin 63), Corry; Betra, Hinchliffe. Substitutes: Savic, Dawson.

Huddersfield: Bennett; Sinnott, Wright, Crooks, Carroll, Holmes, Atkinson, Robinson, Bunn; Lopez, Lolley. Substitutes: Mullin, Allinson, Boyle, Billing.