DAVE Jones, the Sheffield Wednesday manager, will redouble his efforts to sign a new forward after leading goal-scorer Michail Antonio was ruled out for the rest of the season.
tonio was stretchered off in the second half of the club’s 2-0 defeat to league leaders Cardiff City on Saturday after suffering a groin injury following an aerial challenge with Leon Barnett.
The winger had a scan on his knock yesterday and last night the club revealed he will play no further part in Wednesday’s bid to retain their Championship status.
It is a big blow to the Owls survival prospects as Antonio has registered nine goals and chipped in with nine assists this term. In his last 12 outings, Antonio found the back of the net four times. Trying to find a suitable replacement for the former Reading player in the loan market will be no straight forward task. It is possible to recruit players on loan up to 5pm a week next Thursday.
Speaking to The Star just before official confirmation of Antonio’s injury woe, Jones said: “We are just waiting to see what happens with everybody before we make any moves. We are having a look around but it is difficult right now.”
The Wednesday chief has not given up hope of bringing forward Connor Wickham back to Hillsborough. The England Under-21 international returned to Sunderland last week after a loan stint with the Owls. Wickham made a late substitute appearance in the Black Cats’ draw with Norwich City on Sunday.
“There is nothing we can do until Sunderland let us know what they want to do,” added Jones, who says Giles Coke (foot) is nearing full fitness.