Carlos Carvalhal will be bidding to celebrate his 50th match in charge of the Owls against MK Dons tonight in style after prolonging his stay with the Championship club.
The Portuguese boss, who has led Wednesday to the quarter-finals of the Capital One Cup and sixth place in the second-tier, penned a new deal last night.
It is a big coup for the Owls as there had been big question marks surrounding Carvalhal’s long-term future. He has been repeatedly linked with the Swansea City job and The Star understands Carvalhal’s initial contract was due to expire at Hillsborough this summer.
But having steered Wednesday into play-off contention and overseen a style change, Carvalhal has been rewarded with a contract extension. The club have opted against disclosing the length of Carvalhal’s deal.
Owls owner Dejphon Chansiri said: “I am delighted that Carlos will be staying with Sheffield Wednesday. I am sure our supporters will also welcome this news as Carlos has led a complete overhaul of the style football we play, particularly at Hillsborough.
“The brief was for the team to play exciting, aggressive and entertaining football, which has been delivered. I look forward to working with Carlos both now and in the future.”
Carvalhal’s backroom staff, consisting of Joao Mario Oliveira, Bruno Lage and Jhony Conceicao, have also extended their deals.
Wednesday have lost just twice on home soil all season and their haul of 39 goals is the best in the division. Only Burnley, Brighton and Hove Albion and Fulham have found the back of the net more times than Carvalhal’s side this season.
Speaking before the announcement, skipper Glenn Loovens had encouraged the club to tie Carvalhal down.
“Carlos is a good manager and a nice guy to work with,” he said. “He loves the style of football which I like playing.
“He has done a good job with Sheffield Wednesday and hopefully we will keep him on a few more years.
“It is not up to me but I think he deserves to stay.”