Sheffield Wednesday match report: Bolton Wanderers 2 Owls 1

Bolton Wanderers v Sheffield Wednesday
Bolton Wanderers v Sheffield Wednesday
Have your say

Sheffield Wednesday crashed to a third Championship defeat in four outings, losing 2-1 to bottom-of-the-table Bolton Wanderers.

Struggling Bolton claimed their first win of the season thanks to strikes by Sammy Ameobi and own goal by Sam Hutchinson.

Kieran Lee pulled one back for the Owls, notching his third of the campaign, and the midfielder had a strong penalty claim turned down late on.

But Bolton held on for their second win over Wednesday in the space of two months at the Macron Stadium.

To compound the Owls' woes, substitute Jordan Rhodes was also stretchered off.

For our Owls news and opinion on twitter follow here

Wednesday fielded an unchanged side from the team who comprehensively beat Leeds United before the two-week international break. With Keiren Westwood having failed to shrug off a rib injury, Joe Wildsmith started in between the sticks for the third match on the bounce.

Jack Hunt (knee) was passed fit to play and Sam Hutchinson returned to the bench following a two-month injury lay-off. Club captain Glenn Loovens was not included in the matchday squad.

Bolton, who have made their second-worst start to a season in the club's history, started on the front foot and Ameobi chested deftly chested a long ball down before sending a left foot effort over the top.

Ameobi, stationed on the right hand side, ran Wednesday's defence ragged throughout the first half and he opened the scoring in the 10th minute. He cut inside on to his favoured left foot and curled an unstoppable shot out of Wildsmith's reach.

It was the Trotters first goal in over 12 and hours of football.

Ameobi then fed the overlapping Mark Little and his cross was tipped over by Wildsmith as the bottom club continued to dominate.

Out of nothing, Wednesday almost equalised when Gary Hooper slipped in Steven Fletcher, who saw his low drive well blocked by Ben Alnwick. Bolton almost doubled their lead on the counter attack when Gary Madine squared to Josh Vela but he was repelled by Wildsmith.

After yet another sluggish, disjointed start, the Owls came close to making it one apiece in the 38th minute through Adam Reach. Alnwick superbly charged down Fletcher's attempt from close range and the ball dropped invitingly to Reach but the left-back's shot was brilliantly headed off the line by ex-Wednesday youngster Mark Beevers.

Moments later, Hunt was cautioned after bringing down Ameobi as Bolton mounted a dangerous looking counter attack.

Jones tried his luck from distance but Alnwick was equal to it.

For more news from Hillsborough click here

There were some boos from the away end after referee David Coote blew his half-time whistle and it was no surprise head coach Carlos Carvalhal made a double alteration at the interval.

Jones and Ross Wallace were sacrificed, with Hutchinson introduced into midfield and Jordan Rhodes brought on in attack.

Playing with more urgency and tempo, Wednesday looked much brighter and Alnwick produced a decent stop to keep out Barry Bannan's rasping shot.

Rhodes wasted a glorious chance to level things up in the 56th minute, firing over from close range after Reach whipped in a teasing delivery.

Alnwick then denied Rhodes again after more good work by Reach as the Owls piled on the pressure.

It took a fantastic tackle by Hutchinson to prevent Vela from doubling Bolton's lead after a woeful clearance by Wildsmith was intercepted by Madine.

But it was soon 2-0 as Hutchinson diverted in Filipe Morais's corner.

Wednesday were rattled and Madine somehow failed to increase the Trotters advantage. The big striker struck the post with the goal at his mercy following more good work by Vela.

Lee claimed his second goal in as many outings in the 68th minute to reduce the Owls' arrears. Rhodes' header was handled in the penalty area by Morais but referee Coote waved play on and Lee stabbed home. Morais was later booked.

In a pulsating final quarter, Morais's dipping shot was palmed over by Wilsmith before Mark Little cleared Rhodes' diving header away to safety near the line.

Alnwick was outstanding for Bolton and made a terrif save to keep substitute Lucas Joao at bay as the visitors poured forward in search of a late equaliser.

But the hosts battled back and Wildsmith saved well with his feet to deny Madine before Hutchinson heroically cleared David Wheater's header off the line.

With minutes remaining, Lee was controversially booked for simulation after going down under a challenge by Wheater in the penalty area. Referee Coote's decision incensed Wednesday's coaching staff and their 4,700 strong travelling fans.

Some Owls fans voiced their frustration towards the end, chanting 'we want Carlos out' and the result leaves them four points afrift of the play-off positions after 12 matches.

Bolton: Alnwick; Little, Wheater, Beevers, Taylor; Pratley, Henry; Ameobi (Noone 72), Vela (Cullen 84), Armstrong (Morais 60); Madine. Substitutes: Howard, Le Fondre, Robinson, Burke.

Owls: Wildsmith; Hunt, Lees, van Aken, Reach; Wallace (Rhodes HT), Lee, Jones (Hutchinson HT), Bannan; Fletcher (Joao 75), Hooper. Substitutes: Dawson, Palmer, Pudil, Butterfield.

Referee: David Coote (Nottingham)

Attendance: 17,967 (4,797)

Follow Dom Howson on twitter