Sheffield Wednesday match report: Barnsley 1 Owls 1

Barnsley v Sheffield Wednesday
Barnsley v Sheffield Wednesday
Have your say

Striker Sam Winnall scored on his return to Oakwell - but Sheffield Wednesday were held to a 1-1 draw at Barnsley following a dramatic header in added on time by Angus MacDonald.

Winnall, recruited in a £500,000 deal from the Reds last January, ended his seven-match goal drought to put the Owls ahead in the 50th minute.

But defender MacDonald rose highest to power in Adam Hammill's free-kick to ensure it finished honours even.

The final scoreline dented Wednesday's hopes of claiming a top-six spot but stretched their unbeaten league run against Barnsley to eight matches. You have to go back to 2009 for the last time the Reds picked up maximum points.

At a noisy Oakwell, it was Barnsley who created the first meaningful opportunity when Tom Bradshaw seized on a defensive mix up involving Glenn Loovens and Tom Lees but his low drive drifted harmlessly off target.

Cheered on by over 5,000 Wednesdayites, Wednesday enjoyed the bulk of the possession in the opening quarter but failed to test Adam Davies in between the sticks for the hosts, with Adam Reach and Sam Hutchinson dragging shots well wide.

Hutchinson, fit-again after shaking off a knee injury, returned to midfield and Callum McManaman was handed only his second ever Owls start as Will Buckley and David Jones made way.

For our Owls news and opinion on twitter follow here

For all Wednesday's possession, it was Barnsley who looked more dangerous in the final third. Full-back Jack Hunt had to be alert to stoop and head away Adam Hammill's final delivery.

Hammill, sent off in the previous meeting for a two-footed challenge on Hutchinson, was at the heart of the Reds' best attacking moves. After lifting over a free-kick, the wide man saw a downward header from and Andy Yiadom centre kept out by Keiren Westwood.

The Owls were forced into a midfield reshuffle in the 36th minute when Hutchinson had to come off after picking up a knock.

Hammill's trickery on the right flank continued to cause Wednesday problems and Bradshaw met his delivery with a firm header but Westwood pulled off a routine stop.

Things started to open up as the half wore on and Angus MacDonald's flick header was cleared away near the goal line by Tom Lees before McManaman's rasping right foot attempt went narrowly over the top.

Although Barnsley had the better of things in the opening 45 minutes, Wednesday almost got their noses in front on the stroke of half-time through McManaman, who blazed over when well-placed after good work by Jordan Rhodes.

Davies made a costly miscalculation five minutes after the restart. The former Owls youngster tried to shepherd the ball out for a goal kick but Adam Reach picked his pocket and squared to Winnall, who coolly tapped home.

For more news from Hillsborough click here

Ex-Barnsley striker Winnall, booed throughout, wheeled away in celebration and ran straight towards the home fans.

Moments later, Winnall thought he had bagged a second but it was disallowed for offside.

Reds substitute George Moncur then fed Hammill, whose cross was brilliantly hacked away by Lees as the Reds responded well to falling behind.

But Paul Heckingbottom's side did not have things all their own way and Davies smartly came out to foil Rhodes with his feet after a long range effort by Barry Bannan.

Fresh from representing the Republic of Ireland, Westwood demonstrated his excellent shot-stopping ability by rushing off his line to deny Adam Armstrong.

With 20 minutes remaining, McManaman forced Davies into action after a neat knock down by Reach as Wednesday pressed for a second. It was McManaman's final contribution as he was forced off with an injury and replaced by Marco Matias, who made his first competitive appearance in 11 months.

Reach worked tirelessly throughout and he flashed a shot over after cutting inside on to his favoured left foot.

Barnsley kept pouring forward in numbers and their pressure paid off late on when MacDonald restored parity.

Heckingbottom's charges nearly completed a stunning turnaround but Westwood produced a great save diving to his left to thwart Moncur. Hammill collected the loose ball only to see his right foot curler headed off the line by Morgan Fox in a thrilling finish.

Barnsley: Davies; Janko, Roberts, MacDonald, Yiadom (Moncur 49); Kent, Mowatt (Watkins 62), James, Scowen, Hammill; Bradshaw (Armstrong 62). Substitutes: Townsend, Jackson, Hedges, Lee.

Owls: Westwood; Hunt, Lees, Loovens, Fox; McManaman (Matias 73), Hutchinson (Jones 36), Bannan, Reach; Winnall, Rhodes (Fletcher 64). Substitutes: Wildsmith, Hooper, Palmer, Semedo.

Referee: Kevin Friend (Leicestershire)

Attendance: 18,003 (5,009)

Follow Dom Howson on twitter