Sheffield Wednesday: Glenn Roeder - his career so far

Glenn Roeder
Glenn Roeder
Have your say

Having a close relationship with a Sheffield Wednesday legend won’t do Glenn Roeder any harm as he prepares to take up a new role as a sporting director at Hillsborough.

Roeder was a team mate of Owls hero Chris Waddle at Newcastle and was also the former England international’s right hand man at Burnley.

While that spell at Turf Moor won’t be held as a highlight in Roeder’s coaching career - the pair almost oversaw the Clarets’ relegation to Division Three (the bottom tier) - Roeder bounced back from that to become a highly respected young manager in his own right.

READ MORE: Roeder and Pearson join Owls

His career in the game began as a player at Leyton Orient before the defender moved on to QPR, whom he captained in the FA Cup final in 1982.

The R’s drew 1-1 with Tottenham but Roeder missed out on the replay due to suspension (the armband handed to Sheffield United legend Tony Currie in his absence). QPR fans still believe that the loss of Roeder contributed to their 1-0 defeat.

In 1983 he then moved to Newcastle where he was part of a side that saw the emergence of a batch of exciting local stars like Waddle, Peter Beardsley and Paul Gascoigne.

After leaving St James’ Park Roeder went to Watford, then had a short spell again at Leyton Orient before finishing his playing career at Gillingham where he would also embark on the next stage of his footballing life.

It was at Priestfield where Roeder became player-manager in 1992/93 and prompted a great escape from relegation out of the Football League, finishing second bottom, ahead of Halifax.

That put Roeder into the managerial spotlight and he was picked up by Watford in 1993 following a messy compensation battle with his former club. After a steady first season, the Hornets narrowly missed out on the play offs the following year, with Kevin Phillips introduced to league football by Roeder from non league Baldock.

However, they couldn’t match the heights of that campaign and Roeder was unfortunately sacked the following season with Watford bottom of the First Division.

Waddle’s appointment at Burnley saw Roeder return to coaching, in an albeit ill-fated spell, but Glenn Hoddle saw enough in the coach to offer Roder the opportunity to work with him in the England set-up.

His reputation as a forward-thinking young coach saw Harry Redknapp offer him a position at West Ham and when Redknapp left Upton Park following a falling out with then Hammers chief Terry Brown, Roeder was surprisingly given the job as manager.

He endured a difficult start to his tenure at West Ham, having to win over the club’s supporters who were largely unimpressed by the appointment, given Roeder’s lack of experience in managing a top flight team.

Big money signings didn’t work out and Roeder had a highly-publicised bust up with former Sheffield Wednesday player Paolo Di Canio along the way as the Hammers struggled at the bottom of the table.

However, before the end of the season, Roeder suffered what was thought at the time to be a stroke, following a win over Middlesbrough, before being told that he had a brain tumour.

He said: “They put me to sleep for the next five days which must have been the hardest to bear for Faith (his wife) and the family, seeing me there with tubes coming out of everywhere, motionless, looking to all intents and purposes like I was dead.

“Thankfully I was then quickly told that there was a good chance it was benign and that it could be removed successfully.”

Trevor Brooking took over for the remaining games but West Ham were relegated.

Roeder returned to work for the beginning of the new season but having lost a large part of his squad as a result of dropping out of the Premiership, he lasted until the end of August before being sacked after a defeat by Rotherham.

Two years later Roeder returned to the game in a youth development role at Newcastle before being made caretaker manager when Graeme Souness was sacked in 2006. Roeder oversaw an upturn in fortunes for the Toon Army and did enough to convince chairman Freddy Shepherd he should be named permanent boss.

Former Owls skipper Nigel Pearson was named his assistant but the season didn’t go well due primarily to injuries to key players and Roeder was sacked after 15 months in the job and replaced by Sam Allardyce.

Later that year Roeder replaced Peter Grant as manager of Norwich, lifting the Canaries out of the relegation zone, but after the turn of the year form slumped again and they just about managed to stave off the drop.

The following season poor results continued and already under pressure for releasing Darren Huckerby in the summer, Roeder wouldn’t make it past January before being sacked following an FA Cup replay defeat to a vastly out-of-form Charlton side.

That was Roeder’s last permanent role in football before today joining Sheffield Wednesday in a new role, though he is the man behind Cardiff City’s appointment of Russell Slade, whom Roeder recommended for the managerial post and there was a time when he was linked with a similar job at the Bluebirds as he has taken up at Hillsborough