Sheffield Wednesday games postponed after COVID-19 positive tests - investigation to follow
Sheffield Wednesday will no longer face Coventry City this weekend or Wycombe Wanderers next week.
Wednesday have been dealing with a COVID-19 outbreak at the club, and it has now led to the next two Championship games being postponed – new dates have not been set yet.
The training ground has been closed since last week, and there were a number of players – and staff members – that missed out on the trip to Exeter City in the FA Cup due to the fact that they either tested positive or were self-isolating after coming into contact with somebody that did.
It was always expected that the game against the Sky Blues this weekend could be at risk given the fact that Wednesday were only able to name four subs against Exeter and fielded a young side due to absences, and now it has been confirmed that they won’t be playing until they face Everton in the FA Cup on the weekend of January 23rd.
A statement from the club read, “Sheffield Wednesday’s next two Sky Bet Championship fixtures against Coventry City (Saturday 16 January) and Wycombe Wanderers (Tuesday 19 January) have been suspended.
“The club informed the EFL that we would be unable to fulfil the fixtures following recent positive COVID-19 tests and the requirement for players and staff to self-isolate as per EFL and Government guidance in order to mitigate against the risk of further infection.
“Revised dates for the rearranged fixtures will be confirmed in due course.”
Meanwhile, the EFL’s statement added, “The circumstances surrounding the postponements will now be the subject of an investigation in accordance with EFL regulations.”
The ‘investigation’ is nothing something limited to Wednesday’s situation, with the league saying the same thing when they made the decision to postponed Brentford’ next two league matches earlier this week.
Wednesday have followed all protocol since the club was hit with the COVID-19 situation this month, with players understood to be currently training at home until a decision is made regarding the safe reopening of the training ground.
No further comment from the club is expected at this stage.