Sheffield Wednesday full-time: Leicester 2 v Owls 1

editorial image
Have your say

Battling Sheffield Wednesday suffered their fourth successive away defeat tonight, losing 2-1 at Premier League bound Leicester City.

Michail Antonio, one of two changes to the Owls starting line-up, cancelled out Riyad Mahrez’s 10th minute opener only for Anthony Knockaert to grab the winner just after the hour mark.

It was Antonio’s first start since February, having recovered from ankle ligament damage he suffered in the 2-0 triumph at Huddersfield Town. Caolan Lavery was also recalled.

Benik Afobe, who scored a consolation in their heavy home loss to Watford last time out, and Jeremy Helan dropped to the substitutes bench.

Sam Hutchinson, on loan from Chelsea, misses out because of a knee problem.

The result means Wednesday have lost three of their last four Championship fixtures.

Leicester, who could win promotion to the top flight this weekend, could have taken the lead in the fourth minute as David Nugent whipped in a lovely left footed cross which Anthony Knockaert sliced narrowly wide.

And the league leaders duly opened the scoring in front of the Sky cameras in the 10th minute when Chris Wood released Riyad Mahrez, who drifted past Joe Mattock before coolly firing past Chris Kirkland with the aid of the left hand post.

After a shaky start, Wednesday gradually started to settle down and find some rhythm to their play. Liam Palmer tried his luck from distance after a surging run but Schmeichel was equal to it.

Kieran Lee fed Antonio in the 19th minute and his fierce drive was superbly away by Schmeichel, the son of former Manchester United legend Peter.

Leicester, looking to gain revenge for their defeat at Hillsborough earlier this season, went close to grabbing a second on the half hour mark after a great counter attack involving Knockaert and Wood, with the latter squaring to Nugent, who curled inches wide.

Wednesday levelled things up in the 37th minute, Antonio jinking his way past Ritchie De Laet before unleashing a powerful shot which Schmeichel could only parry into the net.

Palmer was yellow carded on the stroke of half time after he blocked off Mahrez just inside Wednesday’s half.

Owls head coach Stuart Gray was forced into making a change at the interval, with a rib injury forcing Oguchi Onyewu out of the action. His setback handed Miguel Llera an opportunity to stake his claim.

Glenn Loovens then limped off with a knock, meaning yet another defensive reshuffle for the visitors. On came Giles Coke and he moved into midfield, with Liam Palmer switching to right-back and Lewis Buxton replaced Loovens at the heart of their rearguard.

On the hour mark, Leicester regained the lead with Knockaert curling in an unstoppable free-kick after Lee tripped Mahrez on the edge of the area.

Moments later, it could have got even worse for Wednesday but Nugent blazed over from an acute angle after more patient build up play by the Championship leaders.

Maguire, a peripheral figure for long periods of this encounter, saw his audacious volley from Mattock’s corner go agonisingly off target in the 74th minute.

In stoppage time, Schmeichel produced a smart double stop to deny Lee and Palmer as Leicester held on.

Leicester: Schmeichel; De Laet, Morgan, Wasilewski; Schlupp, Knockaert, James, Drinkwater, Mahrez; Nugent, Wood. Substitutes: Hammond, King, Dyer, Moore, Taylor-Fletcher, Logan, Phillips.

Wednesday: Kirkland, Buxton, Loovens, Onyewu, Mattock; Antonio, Lee, Palmer, Maguire; Lavery, Best. Substitutes: Jermaine Johnson, Coke, Helan, Afobe, Llera, Nuhiu, Martinez.