Megson ban threat after fresh FA charge

editorial image
Have your say

GARY Megson is back in hot water with the FA after they confirmed that he has been served with a second charge arising from the game at Dagenham last month.

He has been charged with “misconduct” over his post-match comments to the media about referee Steve Rushton in which he claimed that the official had been influenced by a conversation with Daggers manager John Still at half time and that Rushton’s second-half performance was “one-eyed at best.”

The Owls manager has until Monday to respond to the authorities.

Megson admitted an initial charge of improper conduct over his sending-off during the game for swearing at the officials on the touchline, which brought a standard penalty of £1,000.

But the FA could dish out a stiffer penalty this time, possibly including a touchline ban, if they rule that he questioned the referee’s fairness. Sir Alex Ferguson was hit with a £30,000 fine and a three-match ban after the FA decided that post-match comments about Martin Atkinson after a game against Chelsea called into question the referee’s integrity.

Meanwhile, Neil Mellor, on-loan from Preston North End, believes that he must keep an open mind about his future in case his preference - a move to Hillsborough - fails to materialise. He said in a Sussex newspaper that Brighton, tomorrow’s opponents and his dad’s old club, would be an interesting option.

But he told The Star last night: “I enjoy playing at Hillsborough and I’d like to be involved in a successful chapter in Sheffield Wednesday’s history.”