Sheffield Wednesday 4 Wolves 1: Full time report

Fernando Forestieri was the two-goal hero as Sheffield Wednesday registered their first win in a month with an impressive 4-1 victory over Wolves at Hillsborough.

Sunday, 20th December 2015, 2:57 pm
Fernando Forestieri slots home from the penalty spot to equalise for Sheffield Wednesday

After a sloppy start in which the Owls went a goal down from a Benik Afobe penalty, Carlos Carvalhal's side rallied and went in at the break, 2-1 in front thanks to a brace from Forestieri - the first also from the penalty spot.

Daniel Pudil added the third just before the hour mark and from then on the points were all but wrapped up.

Fernando Forestieri celebrates with Owls substitutes after putting Wednesday into a 2-1 lead

Sign up to our Sheffield Wednesday newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Gary Hooper completed the scoring in the last minute for his second goal in a week.

The victory, their first since beating Huddersfield 3-1 on November 21 moved Wednesday to within a point of the top six and level on points with Birmingham who travel to Hillsborough on Boxing Day.

Carvalhal made four changes to the side that lost away to lowly MK Dons on Tuesday night. Sam Hutchinson was back in at centre back in the absence of Michael Turner while Ross Wallace, who was on the bench in midweek, replaced Alex Lopez. Gary Hooper was rewarded for his first Owls goal with a start up front alongside Lucas Joao. Atdhe Nuhiu and Modou Sougou dropped out of the starting XI and onto the bench.

Wednesday looked a little lacklustre in the opening stages and were guilty on a few occasions of being caught in possession in dangerous areas. Forestieri was hassled by Afobe and luckily for the Owls forward eventually won a free kick deep in his own half. Glenn Loovens also gave the ball away to Afobe 30 yards from goal before the threat was cleared and then Wallace was robbed by James Henry who attempted to lob Keiren Westwood but the effort went over.

In between all that Forestieri had the first effort on target which brought about a comfortable save from Carl Ikeme, after good running from Joao.

Then with 13 minutes gone, the visitors were awarded a penalty when Jordan Graham went down under a challenge from Wallace. Referee Mark Brown pointed to the spot and former Owls loanee Afobe slotted into the right hand corner with Westwood going the other way.

The game was leveled up on 20 minutes when the home side were awarded a penalty of their own after Joao had managed to squeeze between Danny Batth and Ethan Ebanks-Landell. Who got the guilty touch on the Portuguese forward was up for question, which perhaps was the reason for there being no further punishment but there was certainly a foul and Forestieri dispatched.

Five minutes later Wednesday turned the game on its head and it was Joao and Forestieri again who were the architects. Wallace's cross was only half cleared by Batth who was under intense pressure from Joao and Forestieri fired home to make it 2-1.

Wednesday were in control for a spell after that, with Wolves given little opportunity to press how they had done in the opening few minutes. However the home side were served a warning on 34 minutes as Nathan Byrne got on the end of a Graham cross and headed over when well placed.

With five minutes of the half remaining the Owls went close again after an impressive piece of attacking play. Barry Bannan's touch and pass over the top for the running Joao was super - as was the forward's control. However, Ikeme thwarted Joao, then Forestieri's follow up, before Wallace curled his effort wide from 12 yards at an angle.

In first half injury time Wednesday came close again when they were awarded an in-direct free kick after Ikeme picked up a backpass. Wallace fired into the wall and from the follow-up, Joao's shot was headed onto the crossbar by Henry on the line.

The start of the second half was a little more subdued than the first and 13 minutes after the break Carvalhal made his first change as Joao came off for Jeremy Helan.

But a minute later the game appeared all but wrapped up as Wednesday hit their third.

Bannan's ball into the box towards Hooper was cleared but only to the edge of the box where Pudil, unmarked, had time to pick his spot and the Czech curled into the top corner.

On 64 minutes Forestieri almost grabbed his hat trick. Ikeme had come rushing way out of his goal and the striker played a one-two with Hooper before firing just around the empy goal at a tight angle.

By now it was all Wednesday and aside from a rare nervy moment at the back when Loovens had to clear off the line from Ebanks-Landell, the home side were comfortable and looking like they could score more. Bannan and Forestieri both shot over from distance and the latter then found the Kop again when teed up by Wallace, 14 yards from goal on 72 minutes, after some initial good work from Kieran Lee.

Forestieri then received a standing ovation from the home supporters as he was replaced by Nuhiu with six minutes remaining.

And in the last minute of normal time, Nuhiu threaded a fine through ball to Hooper, who fired past Ikeme to finally put a seal on the three points.


Sheffield Wednesday: Westwood, Hutchinson, Loovens, Hunt, Pudil, Lee, Wallace, Bannan, Forestieri, Hooper, Joao. Subs: Wildsmith, Semedo, Wiggins, Helan, Sougou, McGugan, Nuhiu.

Wolves: Ikeme; Iorfa, Batth, Ebanks-Landell, Doherty; McDonald, Price, Byrne, Henry, Graham; Afobe. Subs: McCarey, Golbourne, Edwards, Wallace, Coady, Holt, Le Fondre.

Referee: Mark Brown