The derby will be Steve Bruce’s first as Sheffield Wednesday manager with the Blades looking to get back into the automatic promotion spots with a win.
Thousands of fans will soon begin to descend on Hillsborough for the most talked-about fixture of the season with a stringent police operation in place.
Around 300 officers are due to be involved in the operation with bobbies drafted in from neighbouring forces to boost numbers on the frontline.
Sheffield Wednesday's crucial Lee Gregory update as new signing is ruled out 'for some time'
Who is Luke Cook? Sheffield Wednesday new signing who made debut v Sunderland
Sheffield Wednesday injury update on Michael Smith, concerns cooled over defensive pair
“Duracell bunny” “Could’ve done a crossword” – Player ratings as Sheffield Wednesday cruise to win over Sunderland
"They sat behind the ball" - Sunderland boss talks Sheffield Wednesday tactics after Owls win in Carabao Cup
Fans have been warned that drones will be used to monitor crowds from the air and Sheffield United fans will be asked to remain in the ground for around 10 minutes after the final whistle.
Supporters with tickets for tonight’s match have also been reminded about the number of items that they’re banned from bringing into the ground.
- Knives, fireworks, smoke canisters and air-horns
- Flares, weapons, dangerous or hazardous items
- Laser devices, bottles, glass vessels, cans, poles
- Any article that might be used as a weapon and/or compromise public safety.
Furthermore, you may not bring into the ground:
- Any sponsorship, promotional or marketing materials save in respect of official club merchandise and/or other football related clothing worn in good faith;
- Any flags or banners larger than those maximum dimensions permitted by the club from time to time (or, in the absence of such stipulations, 2 metres x 1 metre) and/or of an offensive nature;
- Nor may you offer (either free or for sale by any person) any goods (including literature) of any nature, without the express written approval of the club's management.
Any person in possession of such items will be refused entry to the Ground.