Keiren Westwood: Sheffield Wednesday turn down two clubs interested in loan move for keeper
Sheffield Wednesday have turned down opportunities to move on out-of-favour goalkeeper Keiren Westwood, The Star understands.
The 35-year-old, who last played for the Owls in November last year before younger stoppers Cameron Dawson and Joe Wildsmith were given pecking order ascendency, is currently training with the club’s under-23s since rejoining life at Middlewood Road in August after an extended absence.
There has been much talk over the future of Westwood, who is in the final year of his contract.
And The Star understands that the club have turned down loan offers from two separate Championship clubs for the former Republic of Ireland man since the transfer window reopened in the summer.
Sources have indicated that both offers included a hefty contribution to Westwood’s wages - though no fee was involved.
Asked for an update on the circumstances surrounding the keeper’s Wednesday future, Monk said last week that he was hopeful he would be moved on - for both the player and the club.
Monk has repeatedly said that he has not had any offers for players ‘across his desk’, but has indicated that the basis of some of the club’s transfer business is an ongoing process that doesn’t necessarily need his involvement at every stage.
“He’s training with the under-23s, getting his fitness and looking to get himself out on loan or a move to another club,” Monk said.
“I’m hopeful for him, and hopeful for us as a club,” he stated. “As I’ve said, that’s all in the hands of the club, my focus is on preparing for these games and trying to get results.
“At this moment in time we’ve had a lot of football and a lot of quick turnarounds, and we’ve got an important game this weekend, so all my energy is with that.
“The rest of it the club is dealing and working behind the scenes.”
This season is Westwood’s seventh at Hillsborough, with the Republic of Ireland international having played nearly 200 games for the Owls since joining from Sunderland back in 2014.
The two-time Hillsborough player of the year was handed a new two-year contract by Steve Bruce in the summer of 2019.