Owls: Sheffield Wednesday news, reports and more with The Star.
Owls: Sheffield Wednesday news, reports and more with The Star.
Have your say

gARY Megson was looking for a response from his players after the 5-1 defeat at Stevenage on Tuesday night and after an eventul game his side came away with the three points with the home scoring a controversial goal to make it 1-1.

A travelling army of 1,200 Wednesday fans made their way down to deepest Somerset hoping to see their club’s first away win of the season.

The rapturous applause the team received suggested, for the next 90 minutes at least, Tuesday’s debacle at Stevenage had been put to one side.

It wasn’t long before the Owls broke through. Marshall from the right wing floated over a tantalising cross for McGOLDRICK to nod home at the back post on 10 minutes for a goal on his debut.

Yeovil equalised in bizarre circumstances. After an injury delay the drop ball was volleyed towards the Wednesday goal.

AGARD didn’t seem to be aware that it was being returned to the Owls keeper and chased after it. O’Donnell came out of his goal and collided with his captain Jones. The ball ran free and Agard slid the ball home on 26 minutes.

It resulted in a long delay as the Wednesday players and coaching staff protested to Yeovil and the referee that it wasn’t in the spirit of the match.

Jones was unable to continue and was replaced by Bennett with Johnson moving across the centre-half.

The delay seemed to affect Wednesday and they struggled to return to the fluency they had shown earlier in the half.

AGARD drilled the ball under the advancing O’Donnell on 38 minutes to give the home side the lead.

There appeared to be a fracas in the tunnel as the players went into the dressing rooms at half-time.

From Marshall’s in-swinging corner BENNETT rose highest to thump a header past Steer to draw Wednesday level in the 51st minute.

A slick passing move on 70 minutes ended with Marshall drilling a left wing shot a yard wide after been set up by O’Connor.

Wednesday re-took the lead on 71 minutes. Ehmer was booked for a foul and from Marshall’s excellent free kick MADINE was at the far post to head convincingly past Steer.

Prutton, looking to give the Owls a two goal cushion, ran from deep but his left foot shot went tamely wide.

For a full report of the match plus match pictures see the Green’Un.