Owls: Sheffield Wednesday news, reports and more with The Star.
Owls: Sheffield Wednesday news, reports and more with The Star.
Have your say

SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY were held 4-4 by a goal in the sixth minute of stoppage time in a sensational match at Hillsborough. Jordan Rhodes, son of Owls goalkeeping coach Andy, scored all four for promotion rivals Huddersfiedl

Huddersfield, attacking the kop end, made the better start and took a deserved lead.

The Owls had an escape after only two minutes when Rhodes cleverly found space to get on the end of a left wing cross by Novak but the striker headed his chance too steeply downwards and the ball bounced over the bar.

Wednesday paid dearly when they couldn’t cope with RHODES in the air. Roberts, who was playing on the left wing and was fancied by Megson in the summer, got the better of Tavernier to deliver a cross that found the striker around 10 yards out from where he notched his 16th goal of the season with a firm header that went in of the bar.

The Terriers had quietened the home crowd and it was a real jolt for Owls fans when a second goal game four minutes later, in the 16th minute.

Roberts made a fine run down the left and his top class cross to their near post where RHODES was dashing in to bullet a header into the top corner and bag his 17th of the campaign.

It had been grim for Wednesday but the game and the atmosphere were transformed by a sensational burst of two goals in two minutes for the Owls. Marshall did well to win possession on the left from where he delivered a lovely cross to the far post where JONES planted a towering header back across goal and inside the post.

That goal lifted the home crowd and inspired the team to apply intense pressure. A shot by Sanchez-Watt was deflected onto the bar, a shot by O’Grady was blocked and for a split second, Huddersfield seemed to have scaped but the ball ran to JOHNSON who slotted home from close range to the send the home fans wild, in the 28th minute.

A brilliant tackle by Peter Clarke blocked Lines when he tried to get on the end of a knock down by O’Grady.

Home fans thought their team had taken the lead when the net bulged after a fierce effort by O’Grady after a superb through-ball by Lines but the ball had hit the side netting.

Half Time:

Wednesday 2 Huddersfield 2

Wednesday started the second half with Lowe on instead of Sanchez-Watt, who was one of several players booked.

A great ball by Tavernier was followed by good work by O’Grady and Johnson as the Owls forced a free kick and corner, taking the initiative.

Prutton volleyed a splendid pass to Lowe, but the stiker was denied by a hand ball from Alex Bruce,who was booked for his troubles.

A free kick was given against Lowe for a raised boot in the Huddersfield box, but he also took a knock and needed treatment.

Wednesday continued to press forward and it was no surprise when the took the lead in the 63rd minute.

The build-up was extraordinary. Bywater came out to clear the ball on the right side of the Owls half and instead of just being a clearance it was a perfect diagonal through ball to MARSHALL who took full advantage with a run down the inside left channel. He ran past one opponent and though probably aware of support to his right, cut his inside to his right foot and picked his spot with a low shot in to the keepers left hand corner.

Batth headed a Lines corner over the bar as the Owls continued to storm forward and though Prutton had to make a brilliant challenge to prevent Novak having a close range chance, this was a just a brief moment of concern for Wednesday before they stretched their lead.

After Miller fouled Marshall and was booked on the left flank, Huddersfield were caught out by the free-kick launched forward by Lines in to the left side of the area. was all alone as he sent a long range back header dipping over the keeper to make it 4-2.

Some Huddersfield fans began to leave but they missed the completion of a hat-trick by RHODES in the 78th minute as he took a ball by Roberts on the right side to hit a fine strike in to Bywater’s bottom right hand corner.

It was so nearly 5-3, a flick on by Johnson finding Lowe, a few yards out but the striker’s low drive was well blocked by Bennett.

In the last minute of normal time Gary Megson took off Marshall, replacing him with left back Bennett.

There was a sting in the tail though. In the sixth minute of stoppage time, the ball broke free in the middle of the park and Jordan RHODES burst forward to fire the equaliser with almost the last kick off the match. For a full report, plus match pix, see the Green’Un