Full time: Sheffield Wednesday 2 Blackpool 0

Sheffield Wednesday
Sheffield Wednesday
Share this article
Have your say

Managerless Sheffield Wednesday moved out of the Championship relegation zone after a comfortable victory over Blackpool.

Second-half goals from Connor Wickham and Chris Maguire ensured they gained revenge for their 2-0 defeat at Bloomfield Road last month.

The result stretched the Owls unbeaten run to three matches and lifted them up to 20th in the standings.

It was their third home win of the campaign and all of them have come against top-10 opposition. Their other successes came againt Reading and Leicester City.

Under caretaker manager Stuart Gray, Wednesday have played seven, won three, drawn two and lost two.

Gray made two changes to his starting line-up for the visit of Blackpool and handed first-team recalls to Jacques Maghoma and Atdhe Nuhiu, with Jeremy Helan and Stephen McPhail dropping out.

Wednesday’s match was declared on after a pitch inspection an hour and a half before kick-off. There were fears the Championship fixture would be called off because of waterlogging but referee Dean Whitestone, of Northampton, deemed the surface to be playable despite heavy rain.

It was the Owls who made the early running and Maghoma, stationed on the left hand side of midfield, stung the palms of Matt Gilks in the the third minute.

Roger Johnson also tried his luck from distance but his low right foot shot was easily gathered by Gilks.

Moments later, Maghoma raced past Blackpool’s makeshift right-back Neal Bishop and slipped in Wickham, whose drive was charged down by Jack Robinson.

Barry Ferguson floated a free-kick over the bar in a rare forward foray from the visitors midway through the first half after Glenn Loovens brought down Ricardo Fuller.

But Wednesday kept pressing and Chris Maguire drilled an effort narrowly off target following a free-flowing move on the left flank involving Reda Johnson, Nuhiu and Wickham.

However, the Tangerines almost broke the deadlock in the 36th minute when Ince freed Dan Gosling; he dwelled on the ball too long though, allowing Liam Palmer and Chris Kirkland to avert the initial danger. Roger Johnson picked up the loose ball and his clearance hit Tyler Blackett and cannoned against the upright.

Five minutes after the re-start, Wickham opened the scoring after Blackpool failed to clear Reda Johnson’s dangerous cross. The striker, who is set to stay at Hillsborough until the end of the month after Sunderland, his parent club, agreed to extend his loan deal, fired home with the aid of a deflection off Jack Robinson.

Maguire doubled the hosts advantage on the hour mark, tapping in from close range after fine play by Maghoma and Wickham.

Now Wednesday were threatening to run riot as Wickham lifted a shot over the advancing Gilks but it went into the side-netting.

Maghoma, a constant thorn in Blackpool’s side, jinked his way past Bishop and Tom Ince only to see his effort kept superbly out by Gilks.

With 18 minutes remaining, Maghoma spearheaded another rapid counter-attack. He found Maguire, who squared to Nuhiu but he blazed over when well-placed.

Sheffield Wednesday: Kirkland, Palmer, Reda Johnson, Semedo, Roger Johnson, Loovens, Lee, Maguire, Nuhiu, Wickham, Maghoma. Substitutes: Antonio, Johnson, McCabe, Helan, Mattock, Llera, Martinez.

Blackpool: Gilks, Bishop, Robinson, Ferguson, Mackenzie, Cathcart, Ince, Martínez, Fuller, Gosling, Blackett. Substitutes, Chopra, Davies, Warner, Delfouneso, Eccleston, Barkhuizen, Harris.

Referee: D Whitestone.