Former Sheffield Wednesday youngster Preslav Borukov says he could have been a good fit for Tony Pulis

Of all the strikers to have been released by Sheffield Wednesday in the summer, it is perhaps one of those with the lowest profile that has made the most progress.

Friday, 11th December 2020, 6:00 am
Updated Friday, 11th December 2020, 6:53 am

Young striker Preslav Borukov left Wednesday after four years in South Yorkshire to join Bulgarian first division outfit Etar, where he has led the line with great success.

In just a few months the 20-year-old has attracted praise for his performances in the struggling side and hopes to make his debut for the Bulgarian national team in the coming months.

Borukov has either scored or assisted nine of Etar’s 11 league goals and last week won the division’s player of the week award – a major accolade in Bulgaria.

Sign up to our Sheffield Wednesday newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Former Sheffield Wednesday starlet Preslav Borukov has hit the ground running back in Bulgaria and could be set for a swift return to Western Europe.

And it’s progress that has not gone unnoticed. His contract runs out in June but Etar could be tempted to make a quick profit on the striker and with transfer windows across Europe set to open on January 1, it could be that the youngster makes a swift return to one of Europe’s more recognised football nations.

Bulgarian football is about to enter a month-long winter break, during which Borukov will consider his future.

He told The Star: “During the rest I will travel back to Sofia and speak with my agent about which is the best option and next step for me. There is interest from clubs in both Western and Eastern Europe.

“But I am focused only on football right now.”

Borukov has previously discussed a desire to secure a future in British football, though new immigration laws brought about by Brexit could make that difficult.

He expressed his love and gratitude for the club and for its supporters, revealing that he had been disappointed by a lack of opportunity to play first team football at Wednesday despite some promising displays in senior training.

“I was disappointed,” he said. “I left because of Garry Monk. I was hoping I might have a chance maybe in a cup game, even to have a look at me in pre-season.

“The fact that he released so many strikers from the first team and I didn’t get a chance to show what I can do, I don’t know.

“I think I might fit in well in that [Tony Pulis] style of play, but you cannot always say if. You don’t know.

“But I am focusing on now. I can’t focus on what it would be. You just don’t know.”

Borukov revealed that he turned down the chance to join the under-23 set-ups of English clubs and had first team options in the top tiers of Greece, Cyprus and the Czech Republic, but chose to stay in Bulgaria in the short-term partly to remain close to his family amid the coronavirus pandemic.

And a full international call-up? Bulgaria are entering a transition period and will appoint a new manager in the coming weeks. The prospect of a Borukov call-up is a topic of discussion in Bulgaria.

“They are speaking about getting young players in the team,” he said. “I hope I am going to be selected soon, the next training camp is in March.

“First we need to see who the next manager will be and then hopefully he will be interested in me.”

MORE FROM OUR WEDNESDAY WRITING TEAM

*

Thank you for reading this article, one of dozens we publish every single day to provide you with the best, most up-to-date and most informative coverage of YOUR club. This depth of coverage costs, so to help us maintain the high-quality reporting that you are used to from the football team at The Star, please consider taking out a subscription to our new discounted sports-only package. You'll find all the details at www.thestar.co.uk/subscriptions/sports.

Your support is much appreciated.

Chris Holt, Football Editor