And two players have been praised for fronting up against the risk of supporter backlash by posting messages of apology on social media.
Their longest-serving player, lifelong Wednesdayite Liam Palmer, posted a message on Instagram on Sunday night that read:
“Finding words extremely hard to come by right now. Mentally still trying to process the hurt that will never leave.
Sheffield Wednesday boss and chairman unhappy after attackers leave for Premier League
Why Sheffield Wednesday left Dennis Adeniran out completely against Charlton Athletic
Darren Moore dismisses Barry Bannan over-reliance notion after surprise Sheffield Wednesday sub call
Chris Wilder says Sheffield United "ready to rock and roll" after Middlesbrough draw
Charlton Athletic boss gives Sheffield Wednesday ‘favourites’ tag – admits Hillsborough frustrations
“A difficult season in so many ways, I’m sorry we couldn’t turn things around. Above all, you the fans deserve better.
“‘Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.’ – Winston Churchill”
The post drew messages of support from people across football, including some of Palmer’s Scotland teammates and a number of ex-Wednesday players.
Several former Owls had earlier posted messages of support and good luck ahead of the do-or-die clash, in which another goal would’ve seen the club survive at the expense of their opponents.
Fan favourite Jose Semedo, who played a huge part in their last promotion from League One, replied: “I am no doubt about that brother. You did that once in 2012, so you will do it again.”
Connor Wickham, who spent time on loan at Wednesday last season, wrote: “Chin up bro, what a group, players....staff... personnel....you will be back…”
The likes of former captain Glenn Loovens, Clinton Morrison, Daniel Pudil and cult hero Atdhe Nuhiu all posted blue and white love hearts to extend their support.
Earlier in the weekend centre-half Chey Dunkley posted a message of apology on Twitter for his role in the defeat and vowed to bounce back from the disappointment.
Sadly the 29-year-old also acknowledged threats he has faced on social media.
“It’s been a tough season with adversity,” he said. “I can only apologise for giving a PK away which I know words isn’t good enough. I won’t hide from criticise.
“I see the support & I see the threats too nevertheless the team have to come back stronger. We’ll give it our best next season.”