Steel City derby full-time: Blades U21s 1 Owls U21s 1

Have your say

It finished all square in the Steel City derby at Bramall Lane tonight.

Sheffield United’s young guns deservedly went ahead in the 36th minute through Connor Dimaio only for Sheffield Wednesday substitute Ed Sanders to equalise six minutes after the interval.

Owls coach Lee Bullen said: “I thought we were lucky to come in at half-time one nil down. Sheffield United dominated the first half and we weren’t at the races at all.

“We lost a lot of individual battles and I stressed that to them at half-time. We made a couple of changes and tried to get a little bit of discipline in our play and it seemed to work as I thought we were by far the better team in the second half and we could have gone on to win it but I don’t think that would have been fair on United.”

The hosts created the first meaningful chance, Ryan Flynn drilled a shot into the side-netting in the eighth minute after a poor clearance by Will De Havilland.

Moments later, Franck Betra nearly enhanced his burgeoning reputation, flashing an effort narrowly wide after cutting in from the left flank.

But Chris Morgan’s side looked more dangerous as an attacking force, with Joe Wildsmith saving Otis Khan’s fierce drive at the second time of asking.

It was the hosts who continued to threaten and Diego De Girolamo robbed Brad Beatson out wide before feeding Stefan Scougall, whose attempt was superbly pushed to safety by Wildsmith.

De Girolamo was proving a handful for the Owls’ defence. He turned sharply and dribbled forward with purpose just after the half hour mark and unleashed a left foot drive which drifted agonisingly wide.

Their pressure paid off when Dimaio curled in a lovely shot after the midfielder dispossessed Ryan Croasdale deep inside Wednesday’s own half.

Wednesday came close to levelling things up on the stroke of half-time as De Havilland almost bundled home Rhys McCabe’s corner but Dimaio was on hand to snuff out the danger.

But the visitors were not to be denied and equalised through substitute Sanders, brought on at half-time for trialist Xavier Magairaz, who rose highest to nod home Croasdale’s corner.

Louis Reid then forced Wildsmith into a smart stop at his near post as United briefly put their arch rivals on the back foot.

Betra sliced wide from an acute angle and Mani Dieseruvwe blazed over when well-placed before Paul Corry, who pulled the strings in the second-half, was denied by Iain Turner after a neat turn in the box as Wednesday upped the ante.

With nine minutes remaining, Turner acrobatically tipped Croasdale’s rasping shot out for a corner after good play by Corry.

Rafa Floro was shown a yellow card in the latter stages after a rash challenge on Khan while Sam Berry had a header hacked off the line in the dying minutes as the two sides were forced to share the spoils.

United: Turner; Paling, Scarisbrick, Dimaio, McLean, Berry, Khan, Reed (Coustrain 60), De Girolamo, Scougall (Whiteman HT), Flynn (McDonagh 60). Substitutes: Willis, Evans.

Wednesday: Wildsmith, Young, De Havilland, Beatson, Floro; Croasdale, Corry, McCabe (Meddows HT), Magairaz (Sanders HT): Betra, Dieseruvwe. Substitutes: McDonagh, Tracey, Stachini.