Blades: Sheffield United news, reports and more with The Star.
Blades: Sheffield United news, reports and more with The Star.
Have your say

SHEFFIELD United suffered a shock defeat at Wycombe though Ched Evans came close to rescuing a point with an effort that rattled the woodwork.

A familiar refrain had echoed around SUnited’s training complex ahead of this fixture.

Wycombe, so manager Danny Wilson and members of his squad queued up to insist, might be struggling at the wrong end of the table but, against one of the teams to beat in the division, they would summon a gargantuan effort.

United, according to popular wisdom at Shirecliffe, would have to play the game of their lives to return home from Adams Park with something to show for their efforts.

And, from United’s perspective at least, worryingly accurate as BEAVON fired Wycombe into a 31st minute lead with his fifth goal of the season and the hosts’ first in six games. The goal after Quinn went close with but,in the 31st minute, disaster struck for United when Beavon smashed an unstoppable finish beyond a despairing Simonsen following a rare error from Maguire.

Confidence flowed back through Wycombe veins as a result.

Relegated from the Championship last term, United nevertheless have impressed in recent weeks with both the quality and effectiveness of their play.

However Gary Waddock, Wilson’s opposite number here, kicked-off wondering where his next win would come from.

Williamson should have turned the screw on Wycombe when, in the 20th minute, he met Evans’ cross but headed over despite being unmarked.

United had dominated possession and controlled the majority of the match before the interval but trailed because they had failed to create any openings of note.

Indeed, four minutes after the re-start, only a good save from Simonsen at the foot of his near post stopped Harris from doubling Wycombe’s lead.

In the 54th minute, though, Evans came within the width of the crossbar to clawing United level.

Having powered a free-kick into the wall, the Wales international pounced on the rebound and unleashed a vicious shot which beat Bull all ends up but bounced back off the woodwork,

The bar was still rattling three minutes later when McDonald nearly found him with a threaded pass.

For a full report plus pictures, see the Green’Un.