Sheffield FC’s winless run stretches to eight

Sheffield FC’s winless league run stretched to eight games as they slipped to a 1-0 home reversal against Daventry Town.

By The Newsroom
Monday, 7th December 2015, 4:00 am
Hallam FC go close from a corner against  Worsbrough Bridge Athletic. Photo: Ian Anderson
Hallam FC go close from a corner against Worsbrough Bridge Athletic. Photo: Ian Anderson

Before kick-off an impeccable silence was observed in memory of club stalwart and honorary secretary Steve Hall, who has died.

Boss Andy Kiwomya gave debuts to new signings, goalkeeper Tom Hunt from Southport, experienced midfielder Glyn Cotton along with defender Lee Cooksey from Belper Town, who rejoins Club for a third spell.

Hunt showed his worth saving a penalty to prevent Daventry taking an early lead. Sheffield went close when Benny Igi-Elhon struck a powerful shot just wide but the goal that proved to be the winner arrived on the stroke of half-time with Nabil Shariff nipping in to score at the near post.

Sheffield almost salvaged a point a late on with a great header from Igi-Ehon that the visiting keeper pushed it around the post at full stretch.

Stocksbridge Park Steels completed a league double over Rugby Town, winning 2-1 where as in the reverse fixture at Bracken Moor, Chris Hilton’s men grabbed a late winner.

Harrsion Biggins gave Steels an 11th minute lead with a sublime lob from over former Stocksbridge goalkeeper Sam Andrew after being picked out by Corey Gregory’s superb pass.

Rugby equalised when Chris Tullin’s near post header from a corner struck the post only to hit the unfortunate Liam McFadyen and rebound into the net.

Andrew pulled off a brilliant save from Adam Hinchliffe’s close-range header to prevent Stocksbridge doubling the lead, while at the other end David Reay made a smart stop to foil Rugby’s Robbie Parker.

With three minutes left Steels grabbed all three-points as Ben Rhodes latched onto a poor back pass to coolly round Andrew before rolling the ball into an empty net.

In the Premier Division, Matlock Town went down 3-1 at home against Barwell.

The Gladiators found themselves 2-0 down inside the opening 14 minutes, and although Liam Needham gave them hope pulling one back on the stroke of half-time, the visitors sealed the points with a late third. Buxton were beaten 2-0 at home by promotion chasing Workington

Tuesday - FA Trophy 3rd qualifying round: Buxton v Bradford Park Avenue.

Derbyshire Senior Cup 3rd round: Belper Town v Matlock Town.