Rovers FT: Doncaster 1 Brighton 3

Yun Suk Young during a  man of the match performance on his first start for Rovers
Yun Suk Young during a man of the match performance on his first start for Rovers
Have your say

Two goals in the last five minutes condemned Doncaster Rovers to their third successive Championship defeat.

Paul Dickov rang the changes in a bid to put an end to two heavy defeats as his side welcomed Brighton to the Keepmoat - but he had to do it all without captain Jones.

The skipper suffered a groin injury in the warm-up with former Manchester United defender McCullough stepping in and youngster Wakefield named on the bench.

Rovers started well and had a glorious chance in the second minute when Coppinger was brought down on the edge of the box. Duffy stepped up to take the free-kick but his right-footed curled effort sailed just inches wide.

The game soon burst into life as an unmarked and unchallenged FORSTER-CASKEY put his foot through the ball from 30 yards out to lash home a strike past the despairing right hand of Turnbull for 1-0.

The hosts nearly drew level as Kuszczak was forced to parry away a Duffy drive from the edge of the area. Brown tried in vain to latch on to the rebound.

Turnbull expertly pushed away a Buckley left-footed curler from 18 yards as Rovers found themselves chasing a lively Brighton outfit.

Cotterill tried his luck in the 20th minute as he collected the ball on the edge of the area but delicately placed the ball just wide of Kuszczak’s left-hand post.

Doncaster had to count their luck in the 25th minute as poor marking saw Ward latch on to a bouncing in-swinging corner, however, the former Wolves defender could not get enough purchase on his header as the chance went to safety.

As Rovers attacked, Yun nearly had a dream debut as he pounced on a ball in the box and tried to steer it past the right foot of the advancing Kuszczak, however, the South Korean guided his effort wide of the target.

The home fans got a taster of just how quick their new loan signing is on the break as the QPR left-back carried the ball down the left flank with pace, only to be pulled back by goalscorer Forster-Caskey who went into the book for a definite foul.

Brown kept winning balls but there was no-one to collect his nviting passes.

Duffy went on a run through the centre as his pace brought a late challenge from behind and a Doncaster free-kick from 25 yards. Cotterill blazed over seconds before half time as boos were sounded at the Keepmoat.



Brighton................. 1

Bruno was treated on the field following a collision in their own box as Oscar Garcia brought on Calderon to replace the Seagulls defender.

Duffy looked dangerous down the right for as he whipped in a teasing delivery into the near-post but Brighton put bodies on the line to stop any hope.

Dickov brought on a 62nd minute substitute in the shape of Paynter as Coppinger made way and the hosts went back to a 4-4-2 formation. Yun out-paced his marker to career down the left with the ball and send in an inviting cross but the delivery curled away from any Doncaster threat as Wabara tried to send it in again, this time from the right, but Brighton managed to clear.

Paynter had his first chanc as he drilled in a 67th minute effort to Kuszczak’s right, but the Polish shot-stopper comfortably collected down low.

A foul on Cotterill brought a booking for Calderon and an inviting chance for Rovers to test Brighton - and it proved to be a set-piece which led to Doncaster’s equaliser in the 75th minute.

The goal came following a superb drilled in cross from the left from the boot of Duffy and through a crowd of bodies, BROWN got the desired Paynter was nearly slipped in on goal but the Seagulls did well to clear.

Brown got the crowd on their feet with some clever play down the right which brought Rovers a corner but Cotterill’s delivery was dealt with comfortably.

With Turnbull flat-footed and only able to watch on, Barnes later crashed a looping effort off the woodwork in the 83rd minute.

Then substitute LITA took little time to announce his arrival as Rovers failed to clear a scrappy corner and the on-loan Swansea striker smashed in from close range with just minutes remaining.

Another Brighton substitute in the shape of Lopez put the game beyond doubt with a sublime 20-yard free-kick in the final minutes.