Wycombe Wanderers 2 Rotherham United 2

Rotherham United
Rotherham United
Have your say

SUBSTITUTE Gary Doherty’s 81st minute header denied Rotherham United their ninth away win of the season as they drew 2-2 at Wycombe Wanderers, writes Dom Howson.

A second-half double from Daniel Nardiello cancelled out Joel Grant’s seventh minute opener.

But Doherty’s strike prevented Rotherham picking up maximum points, although the result moved them up to fifth in League Two.

Millers manager Steve Evans, shortlisted for the League Two manager of the month award, recalled Dale Tonge at right-back. He replaced the suspended Kari Arnason as Evans paired Johnny Mullins with Claude Davis at the heart of the defence. Evans named just six substitutes.

The hosts broke the deadlock after seven minutes, Grant tapping in Dean Morgan’s centre from close range.

Moments later, Nardiello’s drive was deflected wide as Rotherham sought a quick response.

Midway through the half, David Noble’s fierce effort from distance was gathered at the second attempt by Wycombe goalkeeper Jordan Archer.

Stuart Lewis was shown the first yellow card of the evening just before the half hour mark after a late challenge on Noble.

The Millers continued to press and Lee Frecklington robbed Charles Dunne of possession and his teasing delivery was headed wide at the near post by Nardiello.

In the 38th minute, Michael O’Connor blazed over when well-placed after good link up play between Alex Revell and Liam Ridehalgh.

But Rotherham equalised six minutes after the interval when Nardiello nodded in Ridehalgh’s cross. He then volleyed home Ben Pringle’s delivery in the 64th minute to complete the turnaround.

Wycombe, languishing in the lower reaches of the table, almost hit back through Morgan but he skied his shot following good play from Jo Kuffour.

Gareth Ainsworth, the Chairboys player-manager, came on for the final 19 minutes as the hosts piled on the pressure.

Claude Davis upended Sam Wood, who enjoyed a loan spell at Rotherham last season, on the edge of the box and Dunne’s attempt was deflected just over the bar.

From the resulting corner, Wycombe duly equalised through Doherty, who headed in Wood’s set play. It is the second match in a row Rotherham have been undone from a dead ball situation.

Rotherham nearly grabbed a winner in added on time but Archer pulled off a fine stop to keep out Kayode Odejayi’s header.

Wycombe Wanderers; Archer; Harriman, Dunne, Winfield, Wood; Grant,Lewis, Scowen, Andrade; Morgan, McClure. Subs: Harrison, Ainsworth, Oli, McCoy, Kuffour, Doherty, Morias.

Rotherham United: Warrington; Tonge, Davis, Mullins, Ridehalgh; Noble, O’Connor; Pringle, Frecklington, Nardiello; Revell. Subs: Shearer, Morgan, Agard, Kearns, Odejayi, Rowe.

Referee: Steve Batt (Oxford)