Tidser helps his new team to comfortable win over Scots

Mitchell Rose celebrates scoring goal no 2 with Craig Morgan at Almondvale Stadium.
Mitchell Rose celebrates scoring goal no 2 with Craig Morgan at Almondvale Stadium.
Share this article
Have your say

Goals in each half from Mark Bradley and Mitchell Rose gave Rotherham United a comfortable 2-0 victory over Livingston, ensuring that Steve Evans’ side remained unbeaten in their pre-season campaign.

For the second night running, the Millers’ boss Evans used the game to give all of his squad some much-needed minutes, including 6ft 3ins defender Claude Davis, who featured for the first time after a family bereavement in the close season.

The home side included former Miller Mark Burchill.

After the previous night’s 0-0 draw with Greenock Morton, there was not long to wait for some action in this one as just 10 minutes were on the clock when Michael Tidser, on his first start after joining from Morton in a reported £50,000 move, picked out Mark Bradley with a free-kick, and the Millers’ right-back side-footed home.

The heat once again proved a factor with the tempo slowing after the goal, and aside from half chances which Bradley and Tidser wasted there was little else created from the side in grey.

The only chance of note for the hosts came from a mazy Moussa Mumpuya run that ended with the ball eventually being fired into the side netting.

While the Millers’ search for a striker continues, Danny Hylton and Kieran Agard were given their chance in the second-half, and both were guilty of failing to double the visitors lead.

First Hylton volleyed at the keeper from inches out, before Agard failed to make sufficient contact with his head when Skarz crossed to the edge of the six-yard box.

The chances kept coming for the Millers, however. Ben Pringle tested the palms of Jamieson, who had to correct his fumble at the second attempt, with the lively Agard bearing down.

A smattering of substitutions from the home side and several delays due to injury, gave the second half much more of a pre-season feel until Rose, once again operating wide on the right smashed home a thunderbolt from the edge of the area on 76 minutes.

Pringle crossed from the left, and when the ball wasn’t properly cleared, the Millers youngster met the ball sweetly on the half-volley to double the lead, and make sure that the Millers took a first victory of their pre-season tour.

The Millers now head for Somerset Park, where on Saturday they take on one of Evans’ former clubs Ayr United.

Evans, then a striker, made 30 appearances in the 1984–1985 season for Ayr.

Livingston: Jamieson (Walker 67), Mampuya (Mullen 67), Talbot, Mensing, Fordyce, Beaumont, Trialist (Downie 60), O’Brien (Trialist 80), McNulty, Burchill, McDonald.

Millers first-half: Collin, Bradley, Arnason, Davis, Skarz, Worrall, O’Connor, Tidser, Milsom, Revell, Nardiello.

Millers second-half: Shearer, Brindley, Morgan, Mullins, Skarz (Rowe 70), Rose, Frecklington, Noble, Pringle (Walker 80), Hylton, Agard.