Result: Rotherham United 2 Millwall 1 - Crucial win as Millers pull six points clear of New York rivals Millwall

Rotherham's Jack Hunt fires in a cross past Shaun Williams. Photo: Paul Wickson
Rotherham's Jack Hunt fires in a cross past Shaun Williams. Photo: Paul Wickson
Have your say

The villain of midweek became the hero of the weekend as Rotherham United battled to a priceless 2-1 Championship win over relegation rivals Millwall.

Kari Arnason, whose slip had set Watford on their way to a 3-0 Tuesday-night win, headed home in the 85th minute at AESSEAL New York Stadium to earn all three points.

Victory put the Millers six points clear of the Lions, who occupy the third and final relegation place.

There were joyous scenes at the final whistle from fans and players who appreciated the significance of the result.

Rotherham had needed just a minute of the second half to equalise the visitors’ first-half opener, Danny Ward scoring from close range.

Martyn Woolford had given Ian Holloway’s men a 20th-minute lead, looping the ball over Adam Collin who produced a stunning save to deny Lee Gregory in the 37th minute.

The game opened up in the second half as Rotherham went for the win, with Jack Hunt smashing the ball against the post in the 63rd minute as he ran in from the right, with Arnason’s follow-up bringing a fine flying save from David Forde.

In the 78th minute the Millers were denied a clear penalty when Kirk Broadfoot was bundled over in the area, but it mattered little seven minutes later when Arnason struck.

Some of the 1,309 away fans didn’t like it and there was a protracted battle with stewards towards the end.

Rotherham United (4-4-2): Collin; Hunt, Broadfoot, Arnason, Fryers; Newton (Hammill 69), Green, Smallwood, Pringle; Derbyshire (Sammon 89), Ward (Frecklington 90+2). Subs not used: Loach, Milsom, Richardson, Clarke-Harris.

Millwall (4-2-3-1: Forde; Abdou, Dunne, Hooiveld, Harding; Tonge, Williams; Fabbrini (Upson 86), Taylor-Fletcher (Fuller 58), Woolford; Gregory (O’Brien, 65). Subs not used: King, Beevers, Martinez, Nelson.

Referee: Gary Sutton (Lincolnshire).

Attendance: 10,329 (1,309).