Millers FT: Stevenage 0 Rotherham 3

Ben Pringle wheels away in celebration after opening the scoring for the Millers at Stevenage
Ben Pringle wheels away in celebration after opening the scoring for the Millers at Stevenage
Have your say

Rotherham United gave a great performance to triumph 3-0 at Stevenage - their first league win in six matches

There was much pre-match debate amongst Millers fans over the departure, on loan to Bury, of Daniel Nardiello.

There was support for and against the decision and it is obviously something that may rumble on a while, particularly if scoring was to become a problem.

However, Steve Evans clearly felt the timing was right and will be looking to bring in a more than adequate replacement.

Joining the healthy Millers contingent on the away end before kick off was top ref Howard Webb with son and daughter.

Stevenage were soon taking the aerial route and a centre from Freeman had Davis volleying clear from inside the six yard area.

The big defender’s next action was to be staring at a yellow card incurred for toppling the speedy Akins.

Rotherham’s first corner, from O’Connor, was headed away. It led to a quick break and Morgan produced a vital tackle to stop Tansey.

Rotherham’s next corner ended with them taking the lead on 14 minutes. It was cleared, Skarz put the ball back in, Revell was up well to send a header across goal and Agard looked set to score only for the keeper to block the shot. However PRINGLE pounced on the loose ball and drilled it home from ten yards.

Then a Pringle free-kick saw Agard, with his back to goal, flick the ball on and Day had to fly across goal to turn it out for a corner.

Rotherham were having to combat the physical challenge and from another free kick they were denied by a brilliant save.

O’Connor whipped in the free kick from the left, Morgan glanced on and it was flashing just inside the far post when Day produced a superb one-handed save.

But the home side, with five straight home wins behind them, were ively and Rotherham defended doggedly. Davis looked to get a final warning when he brought down Tansey.

When Agard finished off from a Frecklington cross, Millers fans thought it was a second goal only for the flag to be up against Frecklington.

Rotherham had stood up well to the challenge and imposed themselves too and O’Connor went close.

Revell and Pringle were involved before O’Connor strode forward and lined up a 25-yarder which he struck really well. Day just stuck up a hand when he seemed to have misjudged it and deflected the ball just over.




Stevenage had to make a change at half-time. Keeper Day, injured during the first half when he tumbled over Tubbs, stayed off and was replaced by Arnold.

A good header from Morgan sorted out an early free kick before there was a stoppage when Pringle hurt his ankle.

Davis was too strong for Akins when the Stevenage striker was trying to force his way through.

Then Morgan stepped in with a timely clearance as Rotherham repelled the home side’s early efforts.

Then Revell won a corner. The keeper punched Pringle’s centre up in the air, it was scrambled away but towards O’Connor who produced an acrobatic volley from outside the box which saw Arnold fly across goal and turn it away as it arrowed into the top corner in front of the Millers following.

Then Rotherham went two up and it was big CLAUDE DAVIS who got it..

A foul on Revell on the right saw Pringle curl in a hugh free-kick to the far post. As the keeper came for it Davis got up highest to power home a header before taking his salute in front of the jubilant Millers fans.

Then, on 65 minutes it was 3-0 with a cracker from O’CONNOR.

The Millers broke from a Stevenage corner. Frecklington and Revell set up O’Connor who moved forward into space, lined up his shot from around 25 yards and drilled into the far corner although the keeper got a hand to it.

Then it was the turn of Collin to perform. Heslop hit a tremendous effort from 25 yards and the Millers keeper flew across goal to turn it behind.

Rotherham made two substitutions. Firstly Milsom went on for O’Connor and then Tidser replaced Frecklington.

It had been an excellent all round performance by the Millers who had both battled when they had to but played their football too.

With five minutes left Mills replaced Davis.