Millers FT: Shrewsbury 0, Rotherham United 3

Tom Hitchcock (left) celebrates his goal on his full debut for the Millers
Tom Hitchcock (left) celebrates his goal on his full debut for the Millers
Share this article
Have your say

A whirlwind first-half display from Rotherham United helped them on their way to a comfortable 3-0 win at Shrewsbury Town.

New Millers striker Wes Thomas said he chatted with Miles Addison before arriving at the New York Stadium.

“Obviously we were colleagues at Bournemouth, so I spoke with Miles and he said good things about the club,” said Thomas, who has joined the Millers until the end of the season.

“That helped, knowing someone who knew about it, but I’ve worked with the manager before, if only briefly, so I know what he’s about and what he wants.”

The Millers snatched the 26-year-old from the clutches of a Championship club: believed to be Birmingham, who had agreed a fee with Bournemouth.

Rotherham have paid a fee, and Thomas says he wants to really help the club’s promotion push - adding that he, and the Millers, will look again at things at the end of the season.

Shrewsbury Town v Rotherham United

Shrewsbury Town v Rotherham United

It was on this ground, back in April 2012, that Steve Evans took charge of the Millers for the first time.

They lost that one and, in fact, have lost on their last five visits here and not beaten Shrewsbury in the last 11 meetings.

So, with the Shrews having lost their last five at home, something had to give today!

Just after kick off the rain began to bucket down and many Millers fans in the goal behind Collin began climbing up the seats away from the front half of the stand to ensure they kept dry!

The home side looked edgy at the start - no wonder, in view of their recent home run - and Rotherham made them feel worse by taking a ninth minute lead.

Revell headed on. Frecklington slipped to Tavernier who crossed firmly from near the byline and HITCHCOCK got in at the near post with a strong header which Weale got a hand to, but it had far too much power for him.

It was his first goal for the Millers.

But inside 60 seconds Rotherham, and Collin in particular, had a let off.

A sharp ball from Taylor put Eaves in space at an angle. His low shot slipped through Collin’s grasp, hit the near post and rebounded to safety.

Rotherham responded by going so close to a second. but they were not to be denied and went two up on 18 minutes, before adding a third two minutes later.

Tavernier had a shot beaten away by Weale. Hitchcock retrieved it, found Tavernier and his cross reached Revell beyond the far post.

He played it back towards the edge of the area, PRINGLE controlled with his body and, despite being under pressure with the ball at an awkward height, he struck a quality volley wide of Weale. Shrewsbury visibly sagged and two minutes later it was worse, as the rampant Millers opened them up for a third.

TAVERNIER surged in fron the right, played a lovely one-two with Hitchcock and ran on to hold off a challenge and beat Weale to round off a devastating start from the Millers.

It should have been better minutes later when Hitchcock was clearly brought down in the area but, to everyone’s amazement, the referee said no penalty.

Shrewsbury’s veteran manager Graham Turner was still out on the touchline trying to urge his side on and Hall had a chance on the edge of the area. His shot was deflected narrowly wide by the challenging Bradley.

The home side, as they had to, were having a go at the start of this half and Revell had to head away following another corner.

After showing their attacking qualities in the first half, the Millers now had to show they could defend against the early pressure and Skarz made an important header.

Agard finally made inroads and had a shot deflected for a corner from which Addison saw a header diverted wide as the rain began to fall again.

Hitchcock was fouled by Mkandwire, there was a bit of ‘afters’ between them both ended up being booked.

It was Hitchcock’s last action - he was replaced by newcomer Thomas.

Eaves and Schmeltz were replaced by Bradshaw and Parry with ten minutes left.

Then Vuckic went on for Revell.

Frecklington then missed a great chance when he nicked a poor back pass past the keeper, turned the ball for the empty net but too slowly and it was cleared - and might not have made it anyway!

With a few minutes left young newcomer Turgott went on for Pringle.

The second half had been a bit of an anti-climax but the Millers following of almost 700 were certainly not grumbling after the first half super show.