Millers FT: Rotherham United 2 Fleetwood 1

Daniel Nardiello celebrates his opener for the Millers with Kieran Agard.
Daniel Nardiello celebrates his opener for the Millers with Kieran Agard.
Have your say

ROTHERHAM United edged closer to the automatic promotion places after Kieran Agard gave them victory over Fleetwood in a pulsating match at New York Stadium.

With Northampton Town losing at home against York City, the Millers took full advantage to remain in control of their own destiny.

Rotherham manager Steve Evans was again up in the Director’s Box, which is where he was on Tuesday when he served his one-match touch-line ban.

He probably enjoyed it up there and certainly enjoyed the first three minutes of what was a dramatic opening.

There were goals to each side in the opening five minutes.

It was the Millers who scored first, although it was to come at a cost.

When the ball went back for keeper Davies to kick clear, Revell put him under pressure and he mis-kicked his attempt. It came towards NARDIELLO near the corner of the area with the keeper out of his goal. The ball bounced awkwardly but Nardiello, showing great skill, struck a fine effort low inside the far post.

However, as he shot, Goodall’s attempt to block saw the pair collide and Nardiello stayed down injured and had to go off for treatment. He limped back on but a few minutes later had to be replaced by Frecklington.

By that time Fleetwood had levelled.

A ball in from the left came to Brown at the far post. He should have scored but mis-hit his effort which rolled a few yards across the area and BALL had a simple side-footer.

There were no further goals in the first half but with the noise levels rising after the break, Beeley put the keeper in trouble with a back-pass which bounced up and the keeper had to use his head. It was headed up in the air and Revell challenged for it and the ball went just wide.

A great block by Skarz denied Ball 15 yards out.

But back came Rotherham and, from Pringle’s corner, Mullins saw his header cleared off the line.

However, it wasn’t long before Rotherham went in front and the stadium exploded in a cacophony of noise on 62 minutes.

The ball came in to Pringle near the edge of the area and his shot was going in but was blocked by Goodall. However, it ran loose and AGARD finished off from six yards and did a couple of somersaults as the ground erupted and Evans ran 15 yards onto the pitch to celebrate.

It could have got better a couple of minutes later. Revell headed on, Agard touched the ball aside and Frecklington’s shot was deflected inches wide.

It had been played like a ferocious cup tie and there was a tremendous save by Davies from Pringle’s 18-yarder.

As Fleetwood pressed, the tension rose and Millers chairman Tony Stewart was standing up in the Director’s Box at one stage.

Agard was replaced by Ainsworth.

And there was also a standing ovation for Revell when he was replaced near the end by Odejayi.

* Read Les Payne’s full match report in The Star on Monday.