Millers FT: Rotherham United 0 Swindon Town 4

Ben Pringle slots the ball past Wes Foderingham's far post
Ben Pringle slots the ball past Wes Foderingham's far post
Have your say

There were plenty of clubs represented in the directors box and among the footballing people taking in the game was the most familiar face of the lot to Millers fans - Ronnie Moore.

He brings his Tranmere side to the New York Stadium for the next home game a week on Tuesday.

A splendid move, with Milsom at the heart of it, saw Pringle’s backheel find Skarz. He delivered early and Hall sliced over his own bar.

Three more corners followed that one before Rotherham’s blistering start almost brought a goal.

Nardiello got down the right, twisted and turned, and his cross saw Revell turn his shot over the bar at the near post.

Then came another chance. Pringle was put inton the area, he avoided Hall’s challenge and chipped an angled effort past the keeper but also past the far post.

The Millers weren’t short of confidence whilst Swindon were slick and sharp going forward and Rotherham needed the hard work and diligence they were showing to keep them at arm’s length.

When they did eventually threaten, Shearer had to make a sharp save from McEveley’s header from Pritchard’s free-kick.

Another opportunity saw Milsom’s cross find Revell at the far post but his header struck Hall and was cleared.

As often happens in such games it is the away side who then go and cash in and Swindon went in front on 32 minutes.

PRITCHARD, playing in the hole, ran at the defence and was brought down. From around 25 yards he confidently struck the free kick high beyond Shearer’s right.

Again Pritchard was a threat with another run right at the heart of the defence. He was brought down inside the ‘D’ by Milsom who was booked but this time Pritchard curled his free-kick wide.

However, right at the end of stoppage time Swindon doubled their lead.

Byrne actually mishit his centre. It came back towards KASIM who struck a shot just as Frecklington challenged and the ball spiralled off the Rotherham man high over Shearer for a two goal lead that made a mockery of the first 30 minutes of this match.



Swindon............... 2

Rotherham needed the sort of second half response they got against Peterborough but Swindon, who were essentially playing three centre backs, were growing in confidence and getting a spare man in different areas of the pitch.

This, allied to some slick football, was starting to make Rotherham look a little ragged - a far cry indeed from their cracking start.

Rotherham needed something to happen and ten minutes into the half came a substitution with Nardiello replaced by Tubbs.

They were trying to get something going and Steve Evans made another change replacing Milsom with Tidser.

There was a booking for Luongo for pulling back Frecklington. A corner resulted from the free-kick but again Swindon veteran centre back Ward got his head on the ball.

Swindon then produced a swift counter-attack to make it 3-0 on 64 minutes.

A Rotherham attack was broken up for Luongo to supply Byrne. He had Pritchard free on the left, supplied him and the hard low cross gave AJOSE simple tap in at the far post.

The three goal lead boosted Swindon’s confidence further and they went on a multi-passing move that endedwith Pritchard again running at the defence before firinginches wide from 20 yards.

They passed the ball around and Bradley lost his discipline and chopped down Ajose near the cornern flag. The right back was booked.

A Pringle free-kick saw Hall win the header and at set-pieces today it was Swindon who had got their head on most things.

After their tremendous performance against Peterborough and the superb win at Brentford, this was a sobering afternoon for the Millers who, ultimately,were given a footballing lesson in the final hour.

N’GUESSAN bagged a fourth in stoppage time to complete the misery.