ROTHERHAM United have rubbished a report which indicated there is a funding gap in the financing of the new community stadium.
After a top level meeting, the club has issued an official statement aimed at reassuring their supporters just days after work began on the site.
A £5 million loan, announced last week, is being made by Rotherham Borough Council towards the £17 million cost but the club have reacted to a report which said there was still a £2.3 million funding gap.
Club chairman Tony Stewart and Chief Operating Officer Paul Douglas were in Cyprus at the Football League’s annual meeting when the ‘shortfall’ story appeared.
Yesterday the club issued a statement which said: “Rotherham United would like to assure supporters that, taking into account the grant funding that has been applied for, the £5 million loan from the Council completes the funding requirement for the new stadium.
“It is regrettable that a story suggested a £2.3 million shortfall still existed without obtaining full clarification from the club.
“We hope that it has not caused too much unnecessary anxiety amongst our supporters.
“We are delighted to announce that work began on the site this week.”
The club say they are looking at installing a webcam so supporters can follow the stadium’s progress.
Meanwhile the deadline for full discount prices on season tickets is tomorrow (Friday). The final date any discount will be July 15.