Match Report: York City 0 Rotherham United 3

It's all smiles for Joe Skarz (right) after his determined run set up Rotherham's opener at York
It's all smiles for Joe Skarz (right) after his determined run set up Rotherham's opener at York
Have your say

This is one of the favourite away games for Millers followers - a short journey, lovely city and, usually, Rotherham lording it over the Minstermen. Apart from the results that is!

So, at least they can now add another one to the wins column as they progressed into the third round of the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy.

The win was comfortable enough but flattered them a bit in terms of chances created and efforts on target - they got a fortunate own goal, a gift penalty and the third on 68 minutes was the first on-target effort from open play. But, overall, they knew too much for York and had plenty in hand.

Steve Evans - who forsook his usual touchline berth for the Directors Box alongside chairman Tony Stewart - made the changes he promised which included a debut for goalkeeper Adam Collin and first starts for Michael Tidser and Danny Hylton.

The decisive opener came after 17 uneventful minutes.

Skarz raced down the left for Pringle’s pass. He slid to reach it on the bye-line, crossing hard at the same time, and the ball deflected in off defender Smith at the near post.

York should have levelled just past the half-hour, an incident followed by Millers boss Evans going down on the touchline.

A cross from O’Neill saw Elliott Whitehouse, the young midfielder on loan from the Blades,steal into the area but, all alone, but he put his header wide.

Then Rotherham had another let-off.

Again York broke from deep. Chambers got away on the left and his cross to the far post saw Jarvis’s header cleared off the line by Mills.

Then Fletcher netted after Collin parried a 25 yarder from Chambers but the offside flag was up.

The home side exerted some pressure early in the second half but Rotherham’s response saw Hylton flash a 22-yarder inches wide before sorting matters out with two goals in five minutes midway through the half.

Agard, bundled over by Montrose, fired home the spot-kick on 63 minutes before, five minutes later, Revell climbed to power home a header from Brindley’s cross.

In the dying minutes young defender Dan Rowe went on for his debut.