Match Report: Wycombe Wanderers 2 Rotherham United 2

Daniel Nardiello celebrates his second goal
Daniel Nardiello celebrates his second goal
Share this article
Have your say

A DANIEL Nardiello double enabled Rotherham to come from behind and lead before being caught late on, but it was another vital point and another unbeaten away game.

It takes Nardiello’s tally for the season to 18 as a result of him being credited with the goal against Dagenham last Saturday after it was initially given to Claude Davis.

They were so close to the win too in the third minute of stoppage time when Kayode Odejayi’s close-range header struck the foot of keeper Archer.

It means that from their last ten away games, the Millers have won seven and drawn two, and it is this resilience on the road which has kept them right in the automatic promotion hunt.

However, a goal for the home side after just seven minutes - albeit with a whiff of offside controversy about it - was hardly the ideal start.

There was a challenge in midfield and if, as it seemed, the ball broke forward off Lewis then Andrade looked to be offside out on the right.

But there was no flag and he centred for Grant to score at the far post.

After 20 minutes in which Rotherham had threatened but with no end product, manager Steve Evans made a formation switch with Nardiello going up alongside Revell. In addition, Pringle ent from right to left with Frecklington moving to the right.

Rotherham appeared to have a genuine gripe when Revell, moving to challenge keeper Archer, was clearly pushed in the back by big central defender Winfield. A foul anywhere else on the pitch but not in the penalty area, it seems!

Opportunities were scarce but O’Connor had a sight of goal 20 yards out. His volley stung the keeper’s hands.

Good work on the right by Frecklington saw Nardiello send a header wide as the pattern of the game was now clear with Rotherham pressing and Wycombe defending solidly.

The home side looked to catch the Millers out with balls played quickly beyond their back four - which is how two of their goals came in the 3-2 win at New York Stadium in November - but it was a set-piece that provided their first threat since the goal. Big man Winfield headed wide from close range following a corner.

Too often Rotherham found themselves ‘muscled’ off the ball, notably by Winfield and Dunne at the back, and the Millers’ pleas that they had been offended against fell on deaf ref ears.

The frustration of boss Evans could be heard at half-time from the nearby Press room and six minutes into the second half there was the perfect response.

It stemmed from a splendid ‘hanging’ cross to the far post by Ridehalgh and Nardiello climbed above Wood to send a fine header back across the keeper.

There was almost a highly controversial goal for Wycombe when, after play was stopped for a head injury, Wood ‘gave’ the ball back to Rotherham by means of a long ball towards Warrington. Except that Morgan chased after it, attempted to go round Warrington who stopped him as incensed Millers players ran towards the Wycombe man who pleaded innocence.

On 64 minutes Rotherham nosed ahead. Nardiello found Pringle on the left and was on the spot when the low cross came in to direct the ball home, at full stretch, from around 12 yards.

Morgan missed a sitter as Wycombe went for the equaliser which came with 10 minutes left when sub Doherty, who had replaced skipper Winfield, headed in at the near post from Wood’s corner.

But, rather than settle for a point, Rotherham went hunting the winner and Odejayi so nearly provided it from Pringle’s cross.

Meanwhile, defender Mark Bradley has been ruled out for the rest of the season.

An X-ray has revealed a broken bone in his ankle and manager Steve Evans has confirmed he won’t play again in this campaign. It could mean Evans will try to recruit a defender this week.

WYCOMBE Archer; Harriman, Dunne, Winfield (Doherty 74), Wood; Andrade (Ainsworth 71), Lewis, Scowen, Grant; Morgan, McClure (Kuffour 21). Subs: Harrison, Oli, McCoy, Morias.

Millers: Warrington; Tonge, Davis, Mullins, Ridehalgh; Noble, O’Connor; Pringle (Agard 90+4), Frecklington, Nardiello (Kearns 85); Revell (Odejayi 86). Subs: Shearer, Morgan, Rowe.

Goals: Grant (7), Doherty (80) for Wycombe; Nardiello (51, 64) for Millers.

Ref: Steve Batt (Oxford).