MATCH REPORT: Rotherham United 4 Macclesfield 2

Once you pop, they can't stop: Ben Pringle celebrates after scoring the second goal; below: Kieron Cadogan.     Pictures: Paul Wickson
Once you pop, they can't stop: Ben Pringle celebrates after scoring the second goal; below: Kieron Cadogan. Pictures: Paul Wickson
Have your say

There was craning of necks and general curiosity from Millers fans about just who might have turned up at the Don Valley Stadium for the final night match of their four year stay.

That interest, of course, centred on who might be in the stands and, quite probably, flagging up the fact they were interested in the vacancy arising from Andy Scott’s departure on Monday afternoon.

It appears chairman Tony Stewart will have plenty to select from when he gets around to picking the next manager. Already the club have been inundated with interest.

In the end, though, all eyes were on the pitch, a poor first half giving way to a splendid five-goal second half - a veritable goalfest not least because the Millers hadn’t scored more than one goal in a game in their last nine games.

But they made up for it here and after Mark Bradley scored his first goal of the season in the first half, it was rounded off with Lewis Cadogan’s first for the club after others from Ben Pringle and a fine Alex Revell strike.

It was Scott’s assistant Darren Patterson who has taken charge on a temporary basis and there was another new man in charge in the other dug-out although one of vastly greater experience in Brian Horton who moved in for a second spell with Macc after Sunday’s sacking of Sheffielder Gary Simpson.

Patterson, having overseen training along with Scott yesterday, sent out a side with two changes which saw Grabban and Harrison drop to the bench and starts for Schofield and Cadogan.

There should have been a good start for Macc’s new man in charge, a left-side corner from Hamshaw after just three minutes dropping perfectly for Diagne but he plonked his header against a post.

Macc arrived without a win in 14, their last one on December 31, and they have slid down towards the relegation zone but they were the ones who started the brighter and with a bit more zip.

Pringle, playing in the role behind Revell, fired a shot narrowly wide and as Rotherham tried to up it, Revell landed a header on the roof of the net.

It was Macc who threatened next with a swerving 25-yarder from one-time Blades youngster Wedgbur which Taylor pushed away.

It was Evans who provided the much-needed spark to help put the Millers ahead on 36 minutes.

He made a typical run down the left, his centre flicked off Connolly and travelled high beyond the far post where Bradley emerged to plant his header back past O’Donnell, on loan from Wednesday.

It was a much needed boost for a side looking strangely hesitant as if still in shock over the sudden departure of the manager.

However, the Millers were much brighter after half-time, opening with a flurry of corners, Taylor having an effort cleared near the line and the lively Pringle firing over.

When Wood slipped over to let in Hamshaw, Mullins rescued matters with a superb sliding block.

Rotherham’s improvement was rewarded on 57 minutes with a second goal.

Cadogan made space on the right, cut the ball back to Pringle and his left footer went past O’Donnell’s left hand.

Inside 60 seconds Rotherham had a let-off when Smith hooked a shot against a post but on 65 minutes he did find the net, heading in Hamshaw’s corner. On 68 minutes, Revell - receiving from Jason Taylor - struck a fine angled shot into the far corner for his 10th of the season but it was just about his final act.

Setting off to chase a pass, he pulled up with what seemed a calf injury and he limped off.

A Chalmers penalty, after Smith went down as he tussled with Bradley, put Macclesfield back into it with 18 minutes left. However, five minutes later Rotherham settled it.

Firstly O’Donnell superbly denied Harrison. Pringle struck the loose ball against a post and Cadogan tapped in the rebound for his first goal for the club.

It concluded a spell of four goals in 12 minutes and, at half-time, no one would have reckoned on a scoreline like this one. It was certainly a tonic for everyone.

ROTHERHAM UNITED: R Taylor; Bradley, Raynes, Mullins, Wood; Cadogan, J Taylor, Schofield, Pringle; Evans (Hoskins 85), Revell (Harrison 70). Subs: Tonge, Grabban, Warrington.

MACCLESFIELD TOWN: O’Donnell; Bateson, Diagne, Connolly, Tremarco (Chalmers 28), Hamshaw, Mendy, Wedgbury (Mukendi 58), Daniel, Donnelly, Smith. Subs: Tomlinson, Thomas, Futcher.

Goals: Bradley (36), Pringle (56), Revell (68), Cadogan (77) for Rotherham; Smith (65), Chalmers (72 pen) for Macc.

Referee: Phil Gibbs (W.Midlands).

Att: 2,505.