MATCH REPORT: Rotherham United 2 Morecambe 1

Have your say

STEVE Evans had talked about the prospect of getting into the top three if the Millers could take full advantage of their home games this week.

It seemed a bit of a long shot and required others above to falter but at least they have got the first bit under the belt. They did in dramatic fashion too, coming from behind in just two raucous minutes midway through the second half.

Match-winning hero was Daniel Nardiello who scored both and missed a great chance in the space of seven minutes. In the end, the Millers could have won by a greater margin.

Before the goals, however, Morecambe had provided a reminder of how difficult it is to shake off opposition at this level and provided organised defending and speed on the counter. They showed they would be difficult to break down, certainly in the second half with a goal to hold on to and filled midfield with a stubborn barrier.

They set up differently to most at this level, 3-4-1-2, with the back three including former Miller Nick Fenton and another up front in Kevin Ellison.

They quickly got men back, often deep into their area and needed them there as Rotherham opened with confidence and with a vigour about them.

They’d already made a few important blocks before the first save was drawn by Arnason’s 25 yarder which had Roche going full length to turn it round the post.

The Morecambe ‘keeper then had to palm down an effort from Frecklington who had arrived just beyond the far post to meet Nardiello’s cross.

Slick work between Arnason and Pringle ended with Harris breaking into the area. He tried to surprise Roche from a narrow angle but the keeper diverted the ball wide with his foot.

Morecambe filled their area, particularly to combat Arnason’s long throws. From one of them, Roche made a poor punch but got away with it, Nardiello hooking his effort over the top. But, generally, it was a Morecambe head that got to the aerial ball first.

Morecambe went ahead on 29 minutes – and it isn’t the first time this season Rotherham have conceded from one of their own corners! From the corner, their seventh, there was a mix-up outside the Morecambe and Redshaw He raced away into Rotherham’s half before finding Ellison free on the left and he slipped his shot past Warrington.

Rotherham had a case for a penalty when Revell went down after a desperate challenge from McCready.

Rotherham produced probably their best move ending with Revell firing wide from 18 yards.

Rotherham then lay siege to the Morecambe area and their resistance was broken on 64 minutes. Arnason, just outside the area, blocked an attempted clearance and the ball rebounded across the danger area beyond the far post where Nardiello fired home.

The crowd were still celebrating when the winner arrived in the next minute. Ainsworth’s centre came to Pringle. He slipped aside to Harris who drilled in a low centre which Nardiello rattled home.

When Pringle put him clean through minutes later Nardiello spurned his hat-trick chance, firing wide.

Morecambe were fortunate not to be swept aside as the Millers tore into them before the end.

ROTHERHAM: Warrington; Tonge, Sharps, Morgan, Harris; Ainsworth, Arnason, Frecklington, Pringle (Agard 90+30; Revell, Nardiello (Odejayi 87). Subs: Bradley, Taylor, O’Connor, Evans, Thompson.

MORECAMBE: Roche; McCready (Reid 75), Haining, Fenton; Wright, Drummond, McDonald, Mustoe; Fleming; Redshaw (Burrow 70), Ellison. Subs: Arestidou, Parkinson, McGee, Parrish, Doyle.

Referee: Gary Sutton (Notts)

Goals: Ellison (29) for Morecambe; Nardiello (64, 65) for Rotherham.

Att. 5,632.