Match report: Rotherham United 1 York City 1

Alex Revell on the attack against York City.
Alex Revell on the attack against York City.
Have your say

LEADING marksman Daniel Nardiello notched his 15th goal of the season in injury time to rescue a point for the promotion-chasing Millers.

The striker, recalled to the starting line-up having recovered from a groin problem, tapped in substitute Ben Pringle’s cross from close range to extend Rotherham’s unbeaten league run to four matches.

Nardiello’s strike cancelled out Matty Blair’s 63rd minute opener for a hard earned draw. Nardiello replaced the injured Daniel Kearns, who sustained a hamstring knock in the victory at Bristol Rovers last week. Apart from Nardiello, Steve Evans made no other alterations to his side.

In the early skirmishes, York did not appear a side lacking in confidence or belief. Despite languishing in 17th position and having gone nine matches without a win, the visitors certainly posed a threat and created the first meaningful opportunity but Ashley Chambers volleyed weakly at Andy Warrington after a long throw in from Lanre Oyebanjo.

Rotherham gradually started to settle and just before the quarter of the hour mark, Kari Arnason headed over Daniel Nardiello’s inviting cross following good approach play from Lee Frecklington.

The hosts had a penalty claim turned down in the 24th minute when Kieran Agard outpaced Oyebanjo on the left flank. The full-back tripped Agard but the referee deemed the offence took place just outside the box. Oyebanjo was yellow carded and Frecklington blazed the resulting free-kick well wide.

York almost opened the scoring after 30 minutes when Jason Walker latched on to John McGrath’s sumptuous through ball but the striker, playing up front on his own, rattled the crossbar with a fierce right foot drive.

Moments after being cautioned for diving, Blair tricked his way past Claude Davis, got to the byline and hooked a dangerous ball back into the danger zone. Fortunately for Rotherham, none of Blair’s teammates were on the same wave length as him and the cross drifted harmlessly out. Four minutes before the break, Jack O’Connell, who spent time on loan with Rotherham earlier in the season, brought down Nardiello on the edge of the area. David Noble’s free kick lacked the power and accuracy to beat Michael Ingham, who fumbled it out of play to concede a corner.

But Rotherham nearly opened up York’s stubborn rearguard on the stroke of half-time as Alex Revell flicked on Warrington’s punt. Revell’s neat header went straight into the path of Nardiello, who tried to chip the advancing Ingham but his strike dropped on to the top of the net. Johnny Mullins came close twice in a minute to breaking the deadlock after half time. The defender, looking to score for the second successive home match, headed Arnason’s long throw agonisingly off target and he nodded Noble’s corner narrowly wide.

But York should have taken the lead in the 57th minute when Blair raced on to Walker’s clever pass. With just Warrington to beat, Blair looked odds on to put the Minstermen ahead. However, Warrington, making his 200th league appearance for the Millers, stood his ground and dived to his to left to deny Blair.

Blair made amends in the 62nd minute as he beat the offside trap to expertly round Warrington and tap into an empty net. On the balance of play, it was no more than York deserved.

Rotherham almost hit back immediately through Arnason, whose fierce free kick deflected inches over. The Icelandic international then headed a Noble corner straight at Ingham as the Millers tried to up the tempo.

Evans threw on all his substitutes, including former Sheffield United youngster Jordan Slew to try and inject some pace and urgency into proceedings. Pringle added more creativity in the final third and his glorious cross was nearly diverted in by O’Connell before Nardiello had the final word.

* ROTHERHAM (4-4-2): Warrington; Bradley, Mullins, Davis, Ridehalgh; Noble (Pringle 73), Arnason, Frecklington, Agard (Odejayi 66); Revell (Slew 73), Nardiello. Subs: Thompson, O’Connor, Morgan, Cameron.

* YORK (4-2-3-1): Ingham; Oyebanjo, Smith, O’Connell, Parslow; Kerr, McGrath, Blair; Rodman (Bullock 81), Walker (Rankine 90), Chambers (McLaughlin 87). Subs: Musselwhite, McDaid, Potts, Allan.

* Scorers: Rotherham: Nardiello 90. York: Blair 63.

* Referee: Robert Madley (West Yorkshire).

* Attendance: 7,666.