Match report: Rotherham United 1 York City 1

Rotherham United goalscorer Daniel Nardiello takes on York City's Jack O'Connell.
Rotherham United goalscorer Daniel Nardiello takes on York City's Jack O'Connell.
Share this article
Have your say

ROTHERHAM United were saved by an injury time equaliser by Daniel Nardiello as the Millers drew for the first time in the league at the New York Stadium.

The Millers had trailed to Matty Blair’s goal on 62 minutes as York City looked to win for the second time this season at Rotherham’s new ground after a 1-0 victory in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy in September.

Steve Evans’ side had had the weekend off and saw Burton Albion and Northampton move above them in the League Two table.

But as they tried to regain their position in the top two they were on the back foot in the opening exchanges as Andy Warrington was forced into a save after five minutes from Ashley Chambers.

And then Kari Arnason did well to block a left foot volley from John McGrath.

Arnason was first to threaten for the Millers but his header went over.

The first name into referee Mr Madley’s notebook was York’s Lanre Oyebanjo for a tackle on Kieran Agard and after Lee Frecklington had shot wide Blair was also cautioned for diving.

Rotherham finished the first half the better of the two teams and twice nearly went in front.

First David Noble’s corner nearly deceived Michael Ingham in the York goal and then Daniel Nardiello shot over after being put through one-on-one.

Noble again nearly got the better of Ingham with a cross but the York keeper scrambled back to his line just in time as Rotherham began the second half well.

Johnny Mullins headed wide from a Noble corner before York nearly broke the deadlock as Blair was thwarted by Warrington’s excellent save.

However, it was just practice for Blair as three minutes later he found himself in exactly the same situation.

This time he calmly rounded Warrington to put the visitors in front.

Evans replaced Agard with Kayode Odejayi but Blair nearly doubled York’s advantage as his shot was blocked by Liam Ridehalgh.

Noble and Alex Revell were also taken off by Evans with Ben Pringle and Jordan Slew coming on.

Pringle’s first action was a cross on 73 minutes which Jack O’Connell nearly turned into his own goal.

The Millers piled on the pressure but Nardiello couldn’t connect with a Frecklinton cross before being denied by Ingham with five minutes remaining.

Deep into injury time Nardiello finally got his reward as he smuggled the ball home from Pringle’s cross.

ROTHERHAM (4-4-2): Warrington; Bradley, Mullins, Davis, Ridehalgh; Noble, Arnason, Frecklington, Agard; Revell, Nardiello. Substitutes: Thompson, Slew, O’Connor, Pringle, Odejayi, Morgan, Cameron.

YORK CITY (4-3-3): Ingham; Oyebanjo, Smith, O’Connell, Parslow; Kerr, McGrath, Blair; Rodman Walker, Chambers. Substitutes: Musselwhite, Bullock, McDaid, Potts, Rankine, McLaughlin, Allan

Referee: Robert Madley (West Yorkshire)