Lee Frecklington battles with Gavin Mahon
Lee Frecklington battles with Gavin Mahon
Have your say

ROTHERHAM United held League One side Notts County to a draw thanks to a fine performance at the New York Stadium.

It was Rotherham who threatened first through O’Connor’s free kick but they soon got a taste of the supreme confidence shown by County.

Mullins and Taylor had to defend well and when Mullins struck a back pass rather too quickly Warrington sliced his clearance and Bradley had to tidy up.

Lured on by their following there was no hint of slackness from the visitors and they went close to taking the lead.

Bishop delivered a corner from the right and Arquin saw his header rebound off the bar.

Millers were up against it but produced an excellent move

Revell and Frecklington were involved and when O’Connor found space at an angle it took a very good save to deny him.

Rotherham then produced another sharp move. It ended with Pringle finding Nardiello and Bradley had got forward at the far post only for Liddle to make an excellent defensive header.

The opening half hour had indicated the size of Rotherham’s task against a fine looking side who attacked and defended in numbers.

And on 32 minutes it got harder for the Millers.

It was a fine strike which began with left back Sheehan out by the touchline delivering a deep centre to the other side of the penalty area where the tall ARQUIN struck a first time volley which gave Warrington no chance.

The leveller came on 42 minutes. O’Connor broke down the left from just inside the Notts half. When he played the ball across low it was PRINGLE who arrived to strike a low left footl shot first past the keeper’s left.

For the first time the visitors looked less than assured and in the final minute another good Rotherham move saw O’Connor centre from the left and Bradley sneaked in at the far post brushed the ball with his chest and saw it hit the post and run away to safety.

First incident after the break saw Mullins make a clearance but in the process catch the boot of Judge and the defender stayed down.

Revell was giving Notts plenty of trouble in the air and he won once again to set up a shooting opportunity for Nardiello on the edge of the area but he put his effort high over the top.

Mullins spotted danger from a low centre and made an important challenge on Bishop and then hotly disputed the corner which the referee gave.

When it came over Bradley headed away well to concede another corner and then made an important challenge on Hughes when that corner came in.

Rotherham were making Notts work extremely hard to contain them which was a credit to the Millers.

From Bradley’s throw Nardiello turned quickly and centred and Revell headed over under pressure from Bencherif.

It was a proper cup tie, the action flowing thick and fast with both sides going all out to try and win it and it was pulsating stuff for the fans.

O’Connor was next to try his luck and his fierce 25 yarder wasn’t far wide.

It had Warrington diving low to save.

Then Revell was blocked off in the area but the pressure stayed on and Nardiello’s angled effort was beat away by Bialkowski.

Nardiello missed a great chance with two minutes left.

Rotherham: Warrington, Bradley, Sharps, Mullins, Cameron, Taylor, O’Connor, Frecklington, Pringle, Revell, Nardiello. Subs: Thompson, Hunt, O’Connell, Rooney, Walker, Agard, Odejayi.

Notts County: Bialkowski, Kelly, Liddle, Bencherif, Sheehan, Bishop, Hughes, Mahon, Judge, Zoko, Arquin. Subs: Showunmi, Mitchell, Labadie, Hollis, Regan, Lavelle-Moore, Dixon.

Referee: Darren Drysdale (Lincolnshire)