Relegation woe for losing trio

editorial image
Have your say

SHEFFIELD United and Sheffield Wednesday were the main talking points in League One but there was also lots happening elsewhere.

At the other end of the table, there was misery for Exeter, Chesterfield and Wycombe, who all suffered relegation to League Two.

The most drama came at Wycombe, who led three times against play-off chasing Notts County, only to concede twice in the final two minutes and lose 4-3.

Matt Bloomfield put Wycombe ahead after 45 seconds, but Daniel Bogdanovich levelled in just the third minute.

Grant Basey put the hosts back in front from the penalty spot after a foul on Stuart Beavon but Alan Judge pegged them back again before the break.

Wycombe’s third, from Beavon, came against the run of play, but they could not hold on and suffered late heartbreak as Dele Adebola headed in an equaliser and Judge won it in the 93rd minute.

Exeter went down in more straightforward circumstances, losing 4-1 at Carlisle.

Liam Sercombe had immediately cancelled out Francois Zoko’s opener, but further goals from Jordan Cook and Liam Noble had Carlisle cruising.

Daniel Nardiello then missed a penalty for Exeter, leaving Zoko to round off a comfortable Carlisle win.

Play-off bound MK Dons enjoyed a 2-1 win over relegated Rochdale, with goals from James O’Shea and Dean Bowditch putting them in control before Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro’s late strike.

Huddersfield were held 1-1 at Walsall, with Florent Cuvelier cancelling out Lee Novak’s second-minute strike for the Terriers.

Ryan Noble’s 73rd-minute header gave Hartlepool a 2-1 win over Leyton Orient. Hartlepool led through Antony Sweeney’s 23rd-minute opener before Jamal Campbell-Ryce levelled before half-time.

Colchester put on a show in beating Tranmere 4-2 with strikes from Ian Henderson, Tom Eastman and Freddie Sears, plus an own goal from Ian Goodison. James Wallace and Jake Cassidy hit back for the visitors.

Graham Alexander, in his last match before retirement, snatched a 90th-minute equaliser to rescue a point for Preston in a 2-2 draw with Charlton.

Charlton led 2-0 with goals from Danny Haynes and Dany N’Guessan but Nicky Hunt got one back before Alexander’s late free-kick was the perfect way to bow out of the game.

Garry Thompson cancelled out Donal McDermott’s goal as Scunthorpe and Bournemouth drew 1-1, while Bury and Oldham played out a goalless draw.