Premier big boys suffer cup exits

Have your say

Norwich suffered a stunning 4-0 home defeat at the hands of League One leaders MK Dons as the three newly-promoted Premier League clubs exited the Carling Cup at the second-round stage tonight.

Paul Lambert’s decision to change all 11 of his Norwich starting line-up backfired in spectacular fashion at Carrow Road.

Luke Chadwick and Sam Baldock had put the visitors in a commanding position at half-time.

Chadwick’s second was the pick of the goals, capping a fine passing move, and Daniel Powell added to Norwich’s woes seven minutes later with the fourth.

The Dons finished with 10 men as Angelo Balanta, a second-half substitute, limped off inside the last 10 minutes with all three changes already made.

Swansea and QPR also tasted defeat with the Swans losing 3-1 at Shrewsbury while the R’s lost 2-0 at home to Rochdale.

Swansea had led 10 minutes in through an unfortunate own goal from Shane Cansdell-Sherriff, but Marvin Morgan, hero of the Shrews’ victory over Derby in the first round, levelled midway through the first half as he turned home Lionel Ainsworth’s cross-shot.

Mark Wright struck in the 67th minute, finishing after great work from Terry Gornell, and Nicky Wroe capped it at the death.

Rochdale’s Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro slipped home a rebound after five minutes at Loftus Road and Gary Jones made it 2-0 with nine minutes to go with a superb shot into the top left-hand corner.

Aston Villa struggled for 80 minutes against Hereford but Eric Lichaj eventually turned in a scrappy goal and Nathan Delfouneso added a second two minutes from time to make sure. West Brom had an easier time in dispatching Bournemouth 4-1 at Dean Court. Jerome Thomas scored an early goal for the Baggies and Marc-Antoine Fortune had doubled the advantage by half-time. Steve Lovell turned in Scott Malone’s cross to get Bournemouth back in it early in the second half, but Simon Cox soon replied for West Brom and Fortune’s 78th-minute strike settled it.

Wolves cruised to a 4-0 win over Northampton with Nenad Milijas and Sam Vokes adding to a brace from Sylvan Ebanks-Blake.

Sven-Goran Eriksson’s Leicester had to come from behind to see off Bury 4-2 at Gigg Lane. Jeffery Schlupp’s superb opener put the Foxes in front, but Bury stunned the visitors as Andrai Jones and Ryan Lowe scored either side of half-time to turn it around.

But Paul Gallagher levelled it with a free-kick before Lloyd Dyer put Leicester in front and Neil Danns made sure late on.