Powell happy to halt dip in form

Have your say

CHARLTON boss Chris Powell has spoken of his relief at seeing his side earn their first point in three games against Scunthorpe United.

Bradley Wright-Phillips fired Charlton in front after just six minutes with his 20th goal of the season, but Jon Parkin equalised for Scunthorpe.

Powell, who feels the point gained at Glanford Park on Saturday could be a big step in the right direction on their way to the League One title, said: “I’m sure after our last two results Scunthorpe scented blood.

“There is no doubting those two home defeats were a setback. That makes the point we have taken here an important one because it helps settle people down.

“We have worked hard all season to get where we are and it is now about finishing off the job. At this stage of the season it’s all about getting results and we have got to remain mentally and physically strong to get them.”

Fourth-placed Huddersfield will have breathed a huge sigh of relief to earn a draw at Colchester, who took a third-minute lead through Steven Gillespie and missed a great chance to seal the points when Anthony Wordsworth saw his 88th-minute penalty saved.

Top 10 clubs Carlisle, Stevenage and Brentford also dropped points. Carlisle drew 1-1 at Bournemouth, with the visitors seeing the fourth-minute lead given to them by Lee Miller wiped out by Miles Addison’s 83rd-minute equaliser, while Stevenage and Hartlepool shared a 0-0 draw at Victoria Park.

Brentford remain in 10th spot despite being beaten 2-0 at London rivals Leyton Orient, for whom Kevin Lisbie and Jimmy Smith netted before the break.

At the foot of the table, Wycombe and Rochdale were both celebrating welcome wins today thanks to two hat-trick heroes. Stuart Beavon netted in the fourth, 61st and 70th minutes to help Wycombe claim a 4-1 win at Bury. Paul Hayes also got on the scoresheet for the victors early on, scoring moments after Bury had equalised through Shaun Harrad.

Bury had the chance to level the scores up for a second time in the 52nd minute but Giles Coke missed from the penalty spot.

Rochdale striker Michael Symes also got a hat-trick in his side’s 3-2 home win over local rivals Oldham, completing his treble from the penalty spot in the 70th minute.

Oldham replied through Shefki Kuqi and Reuben Reid but they could not get back on terms and finished the match with 10 men following James Tarkowski’s late sending-off.

Exeter slipped further into trouble after losing 2-1 to Preston, with Iain Hume’s brace sandwiching an equaliser from Liam Sercombe.