Owls FT: Sheffield Wednesday 6 Leeds United 0

Connor Wickham after putting Wednesday three up
Connor Wickham after putting Wednesday three up
Have your say

Sheffield Wednesday were in control against Leeds United at half-time, two goals to the good and it soon got better...

It was Wednesday who started on the front foot and Jacques Maghoma burst through the heart of Leeds defence after running on to a neat pass by Atdhe Nuhiu only to lose his balance near the edge of the penalty area as the ball safely trickled into the arms of Paddy Kenny.

Miguel Llera went into the referee’s notebook in the 13th minute after pulling back Leeds’ top-scorer Ross McCormack.

Maghoma then led a rapid counter attack and released Connor Wickham, one of three changes made by Owls caretaker boss Stuart Gray, but he dragged his shot wide from an acute angle.

But Wednesday captain REDA JOHNSON put the hosts ahead in the 20th minute, hooking in Kieran Lee’s superb delivery from close range. Lee Peltier played Johnson onside and the Benin international grabbed his second goal in as many outings.

Leeds looked a little off the pace and it could have got even worse for Brian McDermott’s side when Chris Maguire unleashed a fierce right foot effort but Kenny got his angles right and palmed it to safety.

Wednesday won tackles and interceptions and, when around their box, defended soundly.

Their confidence was reflected in a run and shot by Wickham, who took on the Leeds defence.and went for goal, tamely, when really he should passed to Nuhiu.

NUHIU, though, was the beneficiary when it became 2-0 in the last minute of the half’s normal time, A strong tackle by Johnson in the Owls half launched a break. Wickham slipped a fine ball to the overlapping Lee; he could have shot but played a super ball to the far post where Nuhiu slotted home his third goal of the season.

It should have been 3-0 with the last kick before half time: Palmer was in yards of space in the box but shot wide.

At the start of the second half Leeds were reduced to 10 men when Matt Smith was sent off for a challenge on Reda Johnson. Then WICKHAM made it three, driving home from the left edge of the are and shooting past Kenny’s near post.

MAGUIRE put Wednesday four ahead with a long range shot that took a deflection.

It got even better with LAVERY making it 5-0.

Then LAVERY struck again for a sixth goal. What a day for Wednesday.