Owls FT: Macclesfield 1 Sheffield Wednesday 1

Owls celebrate Reda Johnson's goal
Owls celebrate Reda Johnson's goal
Have your say

Sheffield Wednesday face a replay with Macclesfield after drawing despite Reda Johnson giving the Owls the lead.

Wednesday survived an early scare to dominate the first half and earn a deserved lead thanks to a header from a corner by captain Reda Johnson.

Chris Maguire

Chris Maguire

The Owls playing 4-5-1, used their superiority in midfield to keep possession and take the game to their non-league oppostion.

But they needed a clearance off the line by Palmer from a 14th minute corner to which centre half Connor connected with his head.

Wednesday were dangerous at set pieces and made one count in the 25th minute.

It all came from a corner by the home team which was cleared by Nuhiu to Maguire which sparked a counter attack and a cross by Helan, bringing a header by Semedo that was deflected for a corner.

McPhail swung in the kick from the left and JOHNSON powered the ball home just under the bar.

Five minutes later a great save by Taylor kept out a Semedo header after a lovely ball from Maguire made space for Lee to cross.

Macclesfield posed little threat coming forward and from another Owls corner the skipper clipped a half chance wide after McPhail played the ball in.

From a long throw by Martinez, Helan raced away to fire just over the bar.

But Martinez was too casual with his control on the edge of the area and ended up having to make a tackle to end the sudden danger from the home team who desperately needed a goal.

 Maguire cut in from the left on his right foot and went for goal but his shot lacked power and was easy for the keeper.

From another McPhail corner in stoppage time Loovens got in a free header but flashed it wide and the Silkmen were a little fortunate to be only one down at half-time.

The Owls began an the second half again in constructive mood without finding much penetration and again they had an early let-off and a rescue act from Palmer.

From a corner a header by Williams was headed off the line by the right back.And that was quickly followed by a great tackle from Llera on Boden in the box.

Macclesfield upped the tempo and their game, and began to put Wednesday under pressure for the first time.

A corner to the far post was headed into the side netting by Williams and the home team must have sensed they were not out of it yet. But a clever link-up between Somedo, Magurire and Palmer down the right resulted in a powerful shot hy Reda Johnson and a super stop from Taylor.

Whittaker might have done better when he under-hit the ball straight at Martinez after cutting in from the left.

Wednesday were now not looking too comfortable when the ball was played into the box.

After they failed to clear on one occasion, a well-struck effort by Whittaker brought an acrobatic save from Martinez who turned the ball for a corner. Nuhiu needed attention after sliding into an advertising board and once again hurting his shoulder, which caused him problems at Hillsborough recently.

While the Owls were down to 10 men they came under further pressure and when a long ball sailed into their box from the right, centre back WILLIAMS guided it into Martinez’s bottom left hand corner with the outside of his foot in the 72nd minute.

Nuhiu came straight back on for Wednesday and Stuart Gray took off Helan and McPhail and sent on Jermine Johnson and McCabe.

JJ went to the right wing while Maguire switched to the left but Wednesday still could find no momentum and they were in trouble again with Reda Johnson playing a back-pass and Martinez dealing with it which resulted in a free kick on the edge of the box and bookings for Reda and Maguire before it could be taken. Macclesfield deserved to be level on their second half showing and when the Owls did make some ground coming forward it came to nothing.

Palmer broke down the right and had Maguire and McCabe supporting to his left but played a poor ball and possession was lost.

Gray took off Maguire and sent on Maghoma with a few minutes left, perhaps in the hope of a late goal in a bid to avoid a replay. Taylor punched away a header from Reda Johnson in the last minute of normal time.