Veteran Vill is Club’s hero with spectacular winner

vill Powell
vill Powell
Have your say

Sheffield FC finished their season on a high note with a 3-2 victory at bottom of the table Kidsgrove Athletic.

Once again Ian Whitehorne was forced to name winger Matt Roney as stand in keeper, and Club had already fired a warning shot with Steve Woolley hitting the post before Andy Gascoigne’s well struck volley edged Whitehorne’s side in front on 15 minutes.

Joel Purkiss raced away to put Sheffield 2-0 up on 24 minutes, but battling Kidsgrove hit back with Jordan Johnson reducing the arrears on the half hour mark.

Dwayne Spence then restored three minutes from the break. But Club did regain the lead with what proved to be the winner on 65 minutes with veteran frontman Vill Powell scoring with a superb overhead kick.

Relegated Stocksbridge Park Steels ended what has been a thoroughly disappointing season with a 4-0 home defeat against a slick passing Skelmersdale side.

The visitors were in front on 11 minutes when Connor McCarthy get in between two defenders to steer a shot wide of keeper Jack Ward from 15-yards.

Skelmersdale doubled their advantage on 34 minutes with a simple tap in for Danny Green, and the visitors all but wrapped up the points four minutes later through Shaun Hudson.

Stocksbridge showed a little more fight after the break, but Skelmersdale put the result beyond doubt with the fourth on 67 minutes with a superb angled volley from Holden.

Steels should have had a consolation effort on 85 minutes, butMatt Hamshaw’s chip hit the crossbar.

Frickley Athletic, who won 3-1 win at neighbours Worksop Town, could receive a reprieve from relegation after Vauxhall Motors resigned from the Conference.

With one eye on this week’s play-off semi final, Worksop rested a number of players - including top scorer Leon Mettam - but took the lead on 19 minutes when Josh Davies unleashed a 35-yard strike which found the bottom corner.

Jimmy Ghaichem’s cross-come shot brought Frickley level on 61 minutes before the visitor’s edge in front four minutes later through a Gavin Allott penalty that saw Tigers’ Tom Burgin sent-off.

Allott turned proved for the third on 81 minutes crossing for Luke Sharry to tap home.