Travel sickness comes to an end, as Club earn first point

editorial image
Have your say

Sheffield FC picked up their first away point of the season, at the fourth time of asking, with a 1-1 draw at bottom of the table Kidsgrove Athletic.

Kidsgrove got their noses in front on 55 minutes when goalkeeper Joe Green spilled a corner into his own net, raising hopes of a first win of the season for the hosts.

But Club were having none of it and drew level on 67 minutes when substitute Ashley Longstaff got on the end of a Ben Algar cross to restore parity.

Joel Purkiss wasn’t far away with a free-kick but in the end Club had to be content with what will be seen as a disappointing draw. Stocksbridge Park Steels slumped to their heaviest defeat of the season with a 4-0 reversal at third-placed Stafford Rangers - the third successive game that Chris Hilton’s side have failed to find the net.

Frickley Athletic came away from Workington with a hard earned point from a 1-1 draw.

The Blues had the better of the first half exchanges and might have taken a lead into the break when Gavin Allott broke clear only to drag his shot wide of the target.

However, it was the hosts that took the lead, through half-time substitute Scott Allison’s looping shot on 67 minutes.

Frickley though hit back to level on 77 minutes when Danny South nodded in Sanchez Payne’s inviting cross.

And the visitors almost snatched all three points in stoppage time as Allott got away once more, only to fire wide for a second time.

Buxton remain top of the Premier Division after beating Belper Town 5-1, to make it seven wins on the trot.

Liam Hardy and Mark Reed both scored twice, along with a Jamie Green effort, in what turned out to be the final game for Belper boss Peter Duffield, who resigned immediately after the game.

Matlock Town dropped into the bottom four following a 3-1 defeat at Nantwich Town where Jason Stokes hit the Gladiators late consolation effort.

n Tomorrow’s fixtures: Division One South: Sheffield FC v Lincoln United, Stocksbridge Park Steels v Rainworth MW.