Tigers lose their bite as Albion hit back to earn share of spoils

Sam Smith (left) of Handsworth Parramore challenges for the ball with Jack Poulton of Staveley Miners Welfare
Sam Smith (left) of Handsworth Parramore challenges for the ball with Jack Poulton of Staveley Miners Welfare
Have your say

Worksop Town will be disappointed to have let slip a two-goal lead against Premier Division leaders Tadcaster Albion, who had been reduced to ten-men inside the first five minutes as Jonathan Greening saw red after elbowing Tigers’ Jake Scott.

The Tigers made their numerical advantage count with two quick fire goals midway through the first half.

Matt Booth’s sublime 20-yard lob gave the hosts a 21st minute lead with Tom Elliott doubling the advantage five minutes later after rounding the ‘keeper from Booth’s pass.

Albion were back in the contest on the hour mark when Josh Greening cleverly beat his marker before lobbing Jon Stewart in the Worksop goal.

The Brewers’ pressure paid off deep into stoppage when Andy Milne hooked home to make it 2-2 - which was no more than the leaders deserved.

Maltby Main took the bragging rights in the local derby at Green Lane, coming from behind to run out narrow 2-1 winners against Parkgate. Adam Stapleford-Ford gave the Steelmen an early boast with a fourth minute goal but Maltby hit back after the break andf equalising through Oliver Fearon.

But Miners goalkeeper Gary Hibbert stepped up to beat his opposite number with a contentious penalty 15 minutes from time.

Shaw Lane Aquaforce narrowed the gap on Tadcaster to seven points and with a game in hand following a 12-0 rout at rock Bottom Glasshoughton Welfare.

James Eyles led the rout with a five goal salvo to take his tally to 20 for the season along with efforts from Lee Morris (2), Joe Thornton (2), Matt Thornhill, Luke O’Brien and a Simon Leach own-goal.

Handsworth Parramore eased to a 3-1 win at Retford United. Lee Whittington finally broke the home side’s resistance with a glancing header a minute from the break.

Sam Smith nodded in the second on 56 minutes with Whittington scoring his second seven minutes later, dinking the ball over the keeper from a Nick Travis through-ball. The Badgers pulled one back through a Jake Outram free-kick 10 minutes from time but it was no more than a consolation effort.

In the clash of two of the Premier Division’s form sides, it was Staveley MW that came out on top coming from behind to win 3-2 at Cleethorpes Town.

James Kay’s superb 25-yard strike cancelled out the hosts’ seventh-minute opener before Craig Fisher’s deflected effort edged the Miners in front six minutes later.

Cleethorpes restored parity early in the second half but Jahmal Smith won the ball of a defender before lashing home the winner six minutes from time to give Staveley an eighth league win on the spin.

Armthorpe Welfare twice led at home against Garforth Town before having to settle for a point from a 2-2 draw.

Ten-man Hallam were narrowly beaten 1-0 at Sandygate Road by Division One leaders AFC Emley.

The goal that settled the game came four minutes from the break when Kurt Noble fired through a crowded with the ball taking a slight deflection to beat Jack Dennison in the home goal.

Emley were awarded a penalty just past the hour which led to the Countrymen’s Elliot Simpson being sent off for a second yellow card. But Paul Sykes couldn’t make it count watching his poorly hit spot kick easily saved by Dennison.

Elsewhere in Division One, Penistone Church slipped to a second successive away defeat going down 2-1 at fellow promotion hopefuls Pontefract Collieries.

n Tomorrow’s fixtures: Doodson Sport League Cup Third Round: Lincoln United v Buxton.

n NCEL Division One: Shirebrook Town v Dronfield Town, Teversal v Hallam.

Wednesday, Dec 3

Doodson Sport League Cup Third Round: Whitby Town v Sheffield FC

Premier Division: Maltby Main v Worksop Town, Staveley MW v Armthorpe Welfare.