Tigers go to Town on landlords in the derby battle of Sandy Lane

Worksop Town v Handsworth Parramore at Sandy Lane. Conor Higginson on the ball for the Tigers.
Worksop Town v Handsworth Parramore at Sandy Lane. Conor Higginson on the ball for the Tigers.
Have your say

Worksop Town took the bragging rights in the local derby at Sandy Lane, which saw the tenants defeat their landlords Handsworth Parramore and run out 2-0 winners.

Handsworth ought to have gone ahead just before the break when they were awarded a penalty but Jon Stewart in the Worksop goal made a smart save from Colin Marrsion.

The Ambers were to rue the miss when the hosts took a 50th minute lead with a good finish from Jonathan Wafula high into the net from a tight angle. Eight minutes later Worksop doubled their advantage with a fine turn and shot from Higginson.

And it took a great save from Handsworth keeper James Lindley to prevent Conor Sellars adding a third with a free-kick from distance.

Handsworth boss Peter Duffield was disappointed to have come away without any points. He said: “We should have won the game, we had more than enough chances. Fair play to them, they’ve scored with two really good finishes.”

Parkgate were disappointed not to have taken all three points against Barton Town Old Boys at Green Lane after the visitors struck twice late on to snatch a 4-4 draw.

Adam Stapleford-Jones gave the Steelmen a 25th minute lead and although the visitors hit back to equalise nine minutes later, two goals in as many minutes just after the hour from Luke Johnson and Stapleford-Jones had Parkgate 3-1 up. Barton clawed one back but when Stapleford-Jones completed his hat-trick on 81 minutes to restore the home side’s two goal cushion, the points looked in the bag.

However, the visitors reduced the arrears with six minutes remaining before Daniel Abdula’s unfortunate own goal saw Barton grab a point in the fifth minute of time added on.

Armthorpe Welfare picked up three crucial points with a 2-1 win at fellow strugglers Nostell MW.

Anthony Ryan gave Armthorpe a third minute lead knocking in the rebound after Joe Lumsden’s header had been saved. Lumsden tapped in the second three minutes from time and looked to have wrapped up the points, but Nostell pulled one back a minute later to leave Armthorpe facing an anxious final few minutes.

Maltby Main slipped to a fourth straight defeat losing 5-1 at in-form Cleethorpes Town where Gary Hibbert hit the Miners consolation effort with a fine 30-yard lob.

Promotion chasing Shaw Lane Aquaforce remain second after a 3-1 win at Bridlington Town. Two goals from Matt Thornhill sent the visitors in leading 2-1 at the break but it wasn’t until the final minute that Shaw Lane wrapped up the points with third from Grant Darley.

Athersley Recreation went down 1-0 at Garforth Town, while Retford United were beaten at home by the same scoreline against Thackley

In Division One, Hallam’s home game with Dronfield Town was abandoned on 39 minutes due to fog with the game goalless. The visitors had been reduced to ten-men with Kallum O’Kane sent off on 14 minutes for pulling back Nicky Owen as he went through on goal.

Substitute Adam Podmore came off the bench to score a late equaliser as Worsbrough Bridge Athletic drew 1-1 with Yorkshire Amateur at Park Road, their fifth stalemate in the last seven games.

Penistone Church climbed up to fourth after making it six wins from an unbeaten run of seven games with a 4-3 victory over AFC Mansfield at Church View Road. Church twice coming from behind to lead 4-2 with goals from Tom Jones, a Kyle Ludlow own-goal and a Lewis Dickinson brace to take his tally to 15 for the season before Mansfield pulled one back in the last minute.

Lee Holmes hit his 16th goal of the season put it couldn’t prevent Rossington Main slipping to a fifth game without a win following a 2-1 home reversal against Knaresborough Town.