Thomas treble makes it a Trophy cracker for Club

Brett-Bowden-Lovell gives Stocksbridge the lead against Scarborough in the FA Trophy
Brett-Bowden-Lovell gives Stocksbridge the lead against Scarborough in the FA Trophy
Have your say

Stocksbridge Park Steels, Worksop Town and Frickley Athletic crashed out of the FA Trophy to lower division opponents, but Sheffield FC pulled off an upset winning 3-0 at Premier Division Ashton United.

The game at Bracken Moor ended in controversy as Scarborough Athletic came from behind three times to win 4-3 with an 89th minute penalty harshly awarded against Matt Telling for hand ball as he slid in with a forward to clear, awarded by the assistant referee.

But it didn’t end there; in the last minute of time added on Janni Lipka shot inside the box was handled by a defender but referee Craig Hainsworth to the astonishment of everyone waved away Steels appeals. A relived Scarborough boss Rudy Funk said; “It’s a penalty his hands are in the air and he’s charged it down, but we have not been playing well lately so will take anything.”

Brett Bowden Lovell playing as a makeshift striker, fired Steels ahead in the sixth minute after holding off a defender. Lewis Clarkson rolled in the equaliser on 26 minutes after rounding Ben Scott but Stephen Hoyle restored the lead eight minutes later after a corner had been knocked down.

Scott made two fine saves at the start of the second half but could do nothing about Gary Bradshaw curling in a second equaliser on 63 minutes. Bowden-Lovell put Stocksbridge back in front four minutes later with a shot that went through the keeper legs. Ryan Williams made it 3-3 with 12 minutes left after a shot had come back off the post.

The shining light was Sheffield’s victory at Ashton, though it came at a cost with Jamie Hadfield being carried off with the injury later confirmed as a broken foot, which will rule the defender out for the foreseeable future.

After the victory a beaming Ian Whitehorne said; “I’m absolutely delighted not just with the win, but that we have proved we can play against teams like this. We knew it was going to be a physical game, but we’ve stood up to it and we’ve out played them in areas they were expected to be better in.”

Zeph Thomas grabbed the headlines with all three goals. The striker opened the scoring on 17 minutes curling a fine effort into the top corner before slotting home the second on 52 minutes after Richard Stirrup had opened up the Ashton defence. Four minutes later Thomas completed his treble with stunning 20-yard strike into the top corner.

Worksop Town had an afternoon to forget losing 7-2 at Ramsbottom United and had Laurance Gaughan sent-off for an off-the-ball incident in the first half.

Leon Mettam and Jack Muldoon with a late penalty hit the Tigers’ consolation goals.

Frickley went out 2-1 at home against Brig Town. Luke Jeffs own goal gave the visitors the lead and although Luke Hinsley nodded the hosts level on 48 minutes. Oliver Fisher scored against his former club 13 minutes from time to put Brigg through. Buxton face a replay after being held 1-1 at home by Darlington 1883.