Ten-man Handsworth lose nine-goal thriller

editorial image
Have your say

Ten-man Handsworth Parramore, who had Gareth Griffiths sent off before half-time, saw their outside Premier Division title hopes take a further knock with a 5-4 defeat at Athersley Recreation after twice taking the lead early on as the hosts snatched a late winner.

Griffiths s glanced home a Simon Harrison cross to give the Ambers a sixth minute lead but the home side responded with a spell of pressure that saw Lee Garside stab home the equaliser seven minutes later.

It took Handsworth just two minutes to restore their lead as Aaron Moxam tucked home Danny Buttle cross’s.

Athersley hit back with two quick-fire goals as the pendulum swung the home sides way. Kai Hancock latched onto a through ball to finish superbly and within a minute Liam Owen’s well taken goal had put the home side in front for the first time with 24 minutes on the clock.

The Ambers suffered a blow though just past the half hour mark when Griffith’s was involved in an altercation with Hancock and was shown the red card.

Nevertheless Mick Godber’s side hit back to equalise with Jon Froggatt netting his 25th of the season to send the teams in level at the break.

Within two minutes of the restart Handsworth went behind again when a good delivery into the box was touched home by Brad Kilburn. The Ambers hit back minutes later with Will Eades heading in Buttle’s free-kick.

Under the circumstance a point would have been a good result for Handsworth but with eight minutes remaining Garsisde tucked home at the second attempt to give Athersley an epic victory.

In Division One, Hallam saw their automatic promotion hopes dented with a 1-0 defeat at promotion rivals Grimsby Borough as the home side completed a league double following a 2-0 victory at Sandygate Road 10-days earlier.

It was another frustrating day for Hallam. They fell behind to a fortuitous second minute goal when Tim Whittaker’s clearance struck Luke Fanthorpe and bounced into the net.

Jake Currie and Matty Ord went close for the Countrymen but despite having the lions share of the possession they couldn’t come up with an equaliser. It leaves Ryan Hindley side hanging on to the last play off place ahead of back-to-back games against third -placed Pontefract Collieries over the festive period.

Penistone Church remain second after a 3-1 home win over Ollerton Town.

Danny Joynes gave Ian Richards side the perfect start with a goal inside the first minute. Dale Kelly rifled home the second on the stroke of half-time.

Lewis Dickinson added the third from the penalty spot just after the break to put the game beyond the visitors who grabbed a late consolation effort.

AFC Emley stay top after coming from behind to beat Eccleshill United 3-2. Ashley Flynn scored al three goals to take his tally to 36 for the season as Emley made it 10 league wins on the spin.

Parkgate were hoping to climb off the Premier Division’s relegation drop zone with a win at neighbours Maltby.

However, the Steelmen lost 2-0 to goals by Keegan Burton and Josh Schofield swept home a low cross. Parkgate hit the post and bar.

A well taken Steve Carty hat-trick added to a goal from top scorer Kurtis Morley saw Staveley MW beat Bottesford Town 4-1 at Inkersall Road.

Worries over Retford United’s future continued as the Badgers suffered an embarrassing 13- 0 defeat at AFC Mansfield.

Relegation battling Armthorpe Welfare were beaten for the first time in three games but remain just outside the drop zone despite a 3-1 home reversal against high-riding Albion Sports. Liam Radford with Welfare’s only goal from the penalty spot that had levelled the scores just before the interval.

Worksop Town made it three leagues wins on the spin to climb up to 10th after defeating Hemsworth MW 5-2 at home.

Kyle Jordan headed home on 11 minutes to restore parity after the visitors had taken an early lead.

Mitch Husbands edged the Tigers in front tapping in the loose ball after the keeper had parried Adam Scott’s shot. Husbands the scored his second and Worksop’s third just before the break from just outside the box.

Hemsworth pulled one back from the penalty spot midway through the second half before two goals in stoppage time sealed the points. Jordan clipping a fine effort over the keeper for 4-2 before Scott’s low drive made it five with almost the last kick of the game.

Dronfield Town were beaten by the odd goal in five by Selby Town at Stonelow Road. The visitors had raced into a two goal lead inside the opening 20 minutes.

Jack Lambert and Joe Butler goals in the second half looked to have rescued a point until Selby grabbed the decisive goal with 19 minute remaining.

Rossington suffered an agonising 1-0 home defeat against Pontefract Collieries where the visitors snatched the points in time added on.

* Non-League fixtures -

Tuesday - Evo-Stik Division One South: Stocksbridge Park Steels v Stamford.

Wednesday - NCE Division One: Eccleshill United v Penistone Church.